Antiques in Thailand ?

Notwithstanding the dodgy Boris I have found it very difficult to find antiques in Thailand!

I spent quite a few hours in Jatujak Market but all I found was

repro. Well I am not your regular 'Lovejoy' but I do know some fakes. An alleged aged knife from the 'Hill Tribes' looked authentic until the blade was examined. No wear at all on an old knife ! No evidence of continued sharpening !!! The sheath aged with tea-bags no doubt !!!

Yep difficult !

Whoops I'm in trouble here comes Boris now!

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhh.

'Arry.

Just coz it looks old don't mean to say it is !

Just like me !

Try River City next to the Sheraton Royal Orchid and The Oriental Arcade between Thanon Charon Krung and the Oriental Hotel. These places have antiques of high quality and very high price. There are, of course, some fakes here, too. You need to know your antiques.

You also might try some of the shops along Charon Krung. The quality and price is all over the board.

There actually is an auction every first saturday of the month at 1.30 PM at River City Center 4th floor. If you are living in Bangkok, that is a good place to go. Prices can vary substantially for similar objects on different auctions, depending on the number of participants (usually between 40-80), and their preferences. So you can find bargains there if you are somewhat patient.

Go to Chiang Mai, Chian Rai and Mai Sai for antiques. Forget about authentic Thai antiques as they are too expensive and many fakes. Go for the Burmese stuff. You can rarely find a good deal in BKK. If you buy any Buddah immages you could get it taken away at customs. I always ship using a freight forwarder and have never had any problems.

PM me if you want some more details.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived