Language Integration Facilitators

Tyfon

My guess is that these are openings for Thai nationals who can speak english well...Hmmm..

The job titles are no different than what they use in coproate eevn mainstream America. My second guess is that these JTs and PCQs orignated and being driven american PC management.

Quite surprised by the number of PCVs coming to Thailand making it sound still like a third-world country..

CB

Peace Corps only recruits Thais in Thailand. My guess is one of the Thai staff wrote the advert, or else one of the small American staff did it when he was sh*tfaced or just feeling silly.

Thailand was one of the first countries to get PC vols. It will also be one of the last to give them up, since the small non-volunteer American staff live quite well here. No way they are willing to give that up. From what I understand, PC in LOS these days is mostly involved in English teaching in primary and secondary schools. I was a PC university vol in 1973. None of that now though, since PC provides what the Thai government ask for. Obiously, they want lower grade teachers.

The was a degree of sarcasm behind my OP. I can't stand made-up job titles that try to disguise or over-sell what they are. Although I did wonder if this might be an attempt to side step requirements for cultural courses or criminal record checks. "Teacher? My no, the post is Language Facilitator, please use the cheaper work-permit form...".

I also avoid ads that claim the workplace is 'dynamic' (disorganized), 'challenging' (fucked-up), 'exciting' (health and safety officer was killed last week) or are seeking 'high flyers' (windows on the executive floor are not locked).

And don't get me started on PA's, executive officers, document controllers... Just see:

When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be something electronic that you could attach to your phone or whatever.

:dunno:

Realise though that the Peace Corps country staff are usually political appointees. They get the job as country director or deputy director as a reward for assisting in a successful political campaign. When I was a vol, my first director was a former astronaut who could have had almost any job he wanted. He decided he wanted Thailand. The next director was a top man from the World Bank, who took a sabbatical to have fun in Asia for a couple of years.

One director said to me, "With your experience, you'd be a great country director - but it will never happen. The job only goes to politicians' friends." That might explain the Orwellian Newspeak.

Archived