Jii Khoh - Thai Hoodlum

Pescator

I remember reading this word in the Lonely Planet guide book some years back. Joe Cummings translates it as "Thai Hoodlum".

But how can it refer specifically to a *thai* hoodlum?

I`ve tried to look it up under J as in Jor Jahn, but it is not in my dictionary.

Would anybody in here know more about this expression and perhaps the correct spelling as well?

Hua Nguu

Hi,

What he possibly was alluding to may be jai khot - 㨤´ - which would be used as an adjective to describe someone who (as Christopher Moore states) is 'a crook, cannot be fully trusted, and lives outside the bounds of rules that most people abide by.' Is this Joe's 'hoodlum'?

That's the best I can do...

Cheers,

Dan

"What he possibly was alluding to may be jai khot - 㨤´ - which would be used as an adjective to describe someone who (as Christopher Moore states) is 'a crook, cannot be fully trusted, and lives outside the bounds of rules that most people abide by.' Is this Joe's 'hoodlum'?"

Well, according to your definition it could very well be. However, the spelling used by Joe Cummings was Jii Khoh - Khoh with a rising tone.

Hua Nguu

what's a beatnick?

Jik koh are those guys dressed up like a ganster ( thai ganster, not a rapper one), gathering in a group at the corner of your soi, looking mean, catcalling the girls, writing graffiti on the walls, robbing a guy, killing members of other gangs, etc...

It's always difficult to transfer Sanskrit Thai to roman English, but a Thai lady I know who has lived in England for 5 years makes the literall translation of "Bad Boy".

MAybe if you understood the UK hooligan culture you could translate this as "Scally", "Villain" "Bad Man"

Hope that helps

Archived