Importing HiPro Mustang

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Talk about pimp m ride... I would how much this baby will be after the tax etc nic

2009 (Detroit Free Press - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- F | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating -- The Ford Mustang will get not one, but two new engines next year.

Ford Motor Co. announced today that it plans to introduce an all-new 5.0-liter, V8 engine for its 2011 Mustang GT in the spring.

The V8 engine will deliver 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque -- 87 more horsepower than the outgoing engine.

"This is the right engine for the car," said Bob Fascetti, Ford's director of large gas and diesel engines.

Today's confirmation follows Ford's announcement in November that it will also provide an all-new 3.7-liter V6 engine with 305 horsepower in the Mustang when it goes on sale in the spring. That engine provides 95 more horsepower than the outgoing model.

Mustang enthusiasts have been clamoring for more powerful engines, and Ford's new V8 engine is expected to give the Mustang GT the horsepower it needs to compete against the Chevrolet Camaro SS and the Dodge Challenger SRT8.

The Chevrolet Camaro SS offers a 6.2-liter V8 with 426 horsepower, and the Dodge Challenger SRT8 offers a 6.1-liter V8 engine rated at 425 horsepower.

"The Mustang is a gorgeous vehicle that unfortunately this year ... was down on horsepower versus its competitors," said John Wolkonowicz, senior analyst for IHS Global Insight. "But all that gets fixed next year."

Mustang's shortage of power gave Ford problems in 2009 as the Camaro returned in the spring to the marketplace for the first time since 2002.

The result: Camaro has outsold Mustang for the last six months. In November, 6,887 Camaros were sold compared with just 3,627 Mustangs, according to Autodata Corp.

Ford executives are betting that Camaro's time at the top will be limited.

"When you re-enter the market, there are a lot of brand advocates, and a lot of employees who want to be part of that new model," said Jim Farley, Ford's group vice president of global marketing. "The thing about Mustang is we never left the market."

Although the Camaro and Challenger will still have engines that are slightly more powerful, the Mustang is the lightest of the three pony cars and likely will be faster, Wolkonowicz said.

Ford also boasts that the engine itself is lighter and smaller. At 5.0 liters, the Mustang's new engine delivers about 83 horsepower per liter.

"Please compare that to whatever else is out there," Fascetti said.

In addition, Ford said it expects the automatic version of the V8 engine will get 25 m.p.g. on the highway and 17 m.p.g. in the city. That would be 1 m.p.g. better in the city than both of Mustang's main competitors.

"We are absolutely committed to keeping Mustang at the front of the pack," Farley said.

Just think, If I floor it comming out of Patong I might land in the Pearl Toyota show room, Wonder what my pal , K. John (sales Mgr) would do when I tell he my Fortuner is under powered!

Archived