Bangkok motor show

Went to the Bangkok motor show today...

Living relatively close to BITEC where the Bangkok motor show is held is got the idea today to pay them a visit to see what's going on in the world of cars. (BITEC is on the begin of the Bangna-Trad road, best take the sky train to On nut and take a taxi from there, or better a motorcycle if you want to live on the edge)

I live near Floraville in the eastern part of Bangkok and normally I?ll cover the distance within 15 minutes. But anticipating that traffic would be a bit sluggish, we took a taxi from my house to Bitec. It only did cost us 15 minutes to reach bangna-trad and another 2 hours to reach Bitec. Because I was going with my Thai neighbor walking was out of the question and the taxi was air conned, so we just waited and waited.

Finally we arrived at Bitec and saw what was happening. Besides the occupation of the building, the clever organizers had also occupied a big chunk of the parking space in order to make the event even bigger! So parking space was already hard to find and on top of that, some Thai hot-shots, or maybe even all resident hot-shots of Bangkok decided that is was too far a walk from the original parking space to the main building, so they decided to park their BMW's, Benzes, Lexus?s and Camry's and Ceifeiro's along the entrance road to the parking and in the front parking area. This resulted in a situation like a blood vessel with cholesterol inside; the incoming traffic to the remaining parking space had to drive really step-by-step to avoid any along the street parked vehicles. Alike the 'dotter' technique with blood vessels they should have 'dottered' the main entrance with a crane!

So, after 2 hours and 15 minutes we finally arrived there.

The exhibition was OK, all big brands had their newest vehicles on show and even some of the big brands had their Formula-1 cars present, probably to attract the Somchai?s from Isaan to make the jump to glamour and fortune and come to Bangkok to become a taxi driver.

Best car on the show? The 35 million bath Bentley.

Hottest car on the show? The new Ferrari.

Most stylish car on the show? The new Maserati

Most disgusting? The Toyota prototype car.

My favourite? BMW 330ci

Most atrractive? All the sales ladies. (Except those at the VW booth)

The ride home was ok. 25 minutes.

Archived