Admiral's Pub and Restaurant Sukhumvit Soi 18

phiketpete

The other night Racha, Long Gun and I walked past this place on our ill-fated attempt to get a free feed at the Rembrandt Hotel - it turned out at least half of Bangkok had the same idea.

Anyway Admirals looked quite nice so the g/f and I gave it a try .

The place has been open about 1 year. In answer to a question seeking this information when I was with the guys we were informed 'midnight' and even on saturday it had the staff looking at their watches.

the reataurant is about 100yards down Soi 18 on the right hand side when entering from Sukhumvit. It appears to have been a family compound which has been turned into a business .

The place appears to Scandinavian owned and gives off that feel in terms of style.

One one side of the compound is a sizeable restaurant with plenty of windows. The restaurant also spills outside onto a large patio. In the middle up wooden stairs is a wine bar and smallish terrace where it is possible to eat from the menu but also try the sizeable snack menu which includes los of open faced sandwiches and other scandi style bar snacks.

On the right hand side of the compound is a building which is uesd for a travel agency business. In the centre is a water feature and plenty of greenery.

Very attractive.

We decided to eat outside. We were thinking of the terrace of the wine bar but there were a couple og guys already seated smoking large cigars and decided to head downstairs to the patio.

there are probably 30 tables in all, of which about 8 are on the patio -only a handful were occupied.

Everynight of the week excluding Tuesday(?) there is a special such as a smorgasbord or make-your-pizza.

Saturday is barbecue night or you could order from the very large menu or the bar snacks menu. The menu is mainly farang food but there is a thai section

The drinks card lists numerous cocktails that can be purchased and Carlsberg is on tap.

We chose the Barbecue special, although my g/f also wanted a soup from the menu.

In reality there was a soup (origin unknown in the special but we were not informed of this until after the soup from the menu had been delivered

The special includes a typical salad bar, barbecue of your choice and a smallish dessert trolley for Bt 395

The salad was fresh and tasty.

The choice for the barbecue was good. You go up to the barbecue area and select the food you wish to eat. It is cooked and brought to your table with various sauces.

The choice on saturday was, Steak, pork steak, chicken fillet,chicken satay,mixed kebab,isan sausage,squid, fish,clams, mussels, corn. Basically just about anything you could want and it seemed that you could take one of each if you wanted to. In addition to the meats/fish there is a table of side dishes- baked potato, grean beens cauliflower au gratin. The potato was fine but the 2 veg were cold.

A basket of fresh bread was also set on the table

The dessert trolley consisted of the usual fresh fruit- papaya, pineapple etc with a couple of different pastries.

All in all i thought that the food was good and would go again possibly on a tuesday and try the menu.

However for me what made it a little different was the tranquility of the place. After eating we just sat and enjoyed a drink in the peacefule surrounds. It is a 100yards from sukhumvit and 400 or so from Cowboy yet they both seemd so far away.

The place was very clean looked brand new. Apart from ourselves everyone else seated on saturday was farang except one young lady. Many were scandi. In fact on the next table it looked like a air hostess from SAS was having dinner on her own. In any event she looked very pretty and was all alone.

The downside fro me was the price it was not cheap all in for the 2 of us Bt 1300 but i would go again and 5 minutes after leaving you can be sat in your favorite cowboy bar

Great report!

Can you tell me if you've tried the food at the Stable Lodge on Soi 8, also a Scandi choose your own BBQ thing.

I'd like to know if you have a comparison between the two?

I cant give you a comparison between the two but i just stayed at the Stable Logde and the BBQ/Buffet is not bad. A fair selection of different meat (but no Steaks), some schachlik ( sorry missing the right word), some chicken and some ribs, about four to five different seafooditems (prawns, squid, two or three different kinds of fish), a (small) saladbar. No desserts. The service is very good and friendly and the surronding is nice. Overall a fair deal for 350 Baht and worth a try.

mupfel

(still in LOS)

Archived