Info on Nana Hotel

Hi!

In reply to:

[color:red]unless you lose it, then big problem. The front desk claims it is the only one, and they would have to call a lock smith to get you in, at a hefty fee... color=red>

Actually this will happen in most hotels if you loose any kind of safe key. Even if they can open the safe they can't use a safe with a functioning key uncounted for.

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

In reply to:

[color:blue]10,000. 4 to the tenth power.color=blue>

Only if you have to use all ten digits and you alow for any digit to occour more than once. If you have to make up a four digit number from four digits you can do this in precisely 24 different ways. Moreover if you have to test all known combinations to find the right one you will on average have to test 12 to succed.

Yes vaselin and talcum powder would be detected by someone that is observant. However cleaning the keypad thouroghly and dusting it for fingerprints after use would be much more difficult to detect. And be fair, how many people will touch all keys for security reasons. We aren't all paranoid you know. laugh.gif

regards

ALHOLK

If you read my original post you will see that I was assuming that it is possible to determine which keys were used to open the safe. I still think this is possible under certain circumstances. It might be interesting to se what an UV light would show.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi,

I would notice vaseline or talk. Also I tend not to have anyone staying with me longer than a few hours so they would limited options to try to guess the numbers.

Secondly, many of the safes have an alarm, get the number wrong three times in a row and it sounds a loud continuous tone for 30 seconds or so, I am sure I would hear that from the bathroom.

It's just more convenient to keep the things in the room. Also if one comes back to the room with a new friend you can quickly lock your wallet away while your guest is in the bathroom.

I do take the genral point though that it's not extremely secure but seems good enough.

Archived