Anti-theft stuff for Camcorders ??

I'm going to be taking my camcorder next time i'm in LOS and don't want it disappearing before the morning, so what kinda stuff do you guys use when taking cameras to Los.

It'll be insured for over the odds anyway but wouldn't want it to get nicked. Any ideas ??

personally don't think it's much of a problem in LOS if it's a semi decent hotel but a nice strong Samsonite with plenty of locks would help. chain and padlock to something for more security.

lost it now but i had a spring release steel wire gadget a bit like power return tape measure that let you wire-lock a bag/case to seats at airports etc and i'd wonder off without worrying. worked great, nobody went near it.

i always have a top of the range mini DV camcorder with me in Pattaya and have never taken any security measures - i always leave it on the bed when i go out and have never experienced a problem in 10 trips staying in a range of hotels from very cheap to more expensive

(i do lock up my passport/credit cardsw though)

Well staying at the Eastiny Inn and I think I should take something as i do like a few sherberts on a night, sherberts by the way are beers *english saying*. I saw the bags that are steel mesh twined and thought about it. Thought a motion detector for £15 *$21 approx* would be better but thought they might be something on the market for stuff like this. Computers have them so why not camcorders ??

Have to agree with hansum_man as I have not had any problem carrying a DV camera (even at Songkran - but it was inside a waterproof sports case).

When I first visited BKK in 1998, I was seriously worried when walking around with expensive gear. After a couple of days I decided that my Western paranoia was distincly unjustified; frankly I now feel much more relaxed in BKK than I do in any city in the UK. Hopefully the ex-Pats who subscribe to this board won't shatter my illusions, but I really do think that theft is less of a problem in LOS, than back home.

Having said all this, I don't leave things lying around in the hotel room. I have invested in a a 'Pacsafe' (www.pac-safe.com) in case the hotel doesn't have a personal security box. Its also useful for passport and credit cards etc. The Pacsafe probably won't deter the determined, but will probably put off the casual thief or BG. Even with BGs, I have never experienced any problems, though I do tend to be careful for the first couple of days with a new one and mostly I have found that they keep their eyes open for your gear, almost better than you do, esp. when you out on the town and staggering around on Singha.

Archived