Tourist Visa to US for Thai Girlfriend

For those out there that thought it couldn't be done, have I got news for you. It can and has been done. Not only a tourist visa, a 10-year, multi-entry visa. With 2 business days turnaround and without so much as an interview!

We're talking a Thai girl here with no job, no noticeable assets of her own, no family money. She's from Issan and her family is poor. She's only been outside of Thailand one time. Anybody notice anything yet that might work against her? She does hold a joint account here in Thailand with me but trust me when I tell you it doesn't have a lot of baht in it right now.

I guess a bit of an explanation is in order here. First off, I am a US citizen that lives and works in Thailand. I wanted to take her back to the US to visit my family prior to marrying her. I filled out the application form, gathered the supporting documentation and wrote a letter of petition stating the case.

The US B1/B2 instruction form states that 'no relative, employer or friend can guarantee an applicant's return' to their home country and that applicants need to show evidence of 'family, economic and other social ties to a country' in order for consideration.

The statement that I made in her petition was that 'I am not making this solicitation as a guarantor. Rather, my presence in Thailand represents the preponderance of the social reasons to expect that she will return with me to Thailand after her visit.' Of course, I included documentation of my employment (my work permit hadn't even been approved yet but a letter from the company and my employment contract sufficed) and the joint bank account, etc.

I should add that all information stated in the application was true to the best of my knowledge. No fabrications were employed.

I almost didn't try this route because of negative press on this board and elsewhere for these applications. I'm glad now that I took the shot.

Congratulations! That's strange, though, as I had heard that the 10-year visas were not being issued anymore, 5 being the max now. My wife has a 10-year visa, but we got that many years ago.

Check out the front page of today's "Bangkok Post." Visa rules to be tightened, and soon. You got in just in time.

Actually, there wasn't a whole lot of supporting information. I just started work for a new job so my work permit wasn't in yet. Had them write a letter stating they were making the application. Provided a copy of my employment contract stating my salary. My bank account is not joint with her but she does have ATM access and I got the bank to write a letter stating that. That's really about it. That and a really good letter tying it all together.

To: Siam Sam

I read that same BKK Post article and was pleased I applied when I did. The embassy would probably have screwed around trying to figure out the rules if I'd waited.

Also, I must say that I talked to a really helpful blonde farang girl at one of the counters that encouraged me to try the application. She made it sound like it was possible, whereas everything I'd heard to that point had been negative. Gave me the guts to give it a shot.

So far, everyone my girl tells about her visa is incredulous. Add to that the no fuss, no hassle nature of the application and people are really astounded. I'm just very happy planning our trip.

Archived