Mobile phones in Thailand:Gsm 1800 or gsm 900?

Wanna buy mobile phone in my country from Orange company,and swich it after to work in Thailand.

What kind of Gsm Thai mobile phones use(1800 or 900 or another one)?

How can I actually switch my phone?-heard something about SIM card???

How much it'll cost me?

I'm not really familiar with mobile phones technology,so i need complete and clear answer.

10x

AIS uses 900 and DTAC uses 1800. Not sure what Orange uses but I suspect it is 1800 since that is the newer standard. Most phones (especially the newer ones) are dual band so they can, from a technical standpoint, be used on either system.

The other requirement is that the sim lock is disabled on your phone to enable it to accept foreign sim cards. If the provider you got the phone from won't do this you can get it done at MBK for between 300-1800baht depending on the phone model. This is done by reflashing the firmware on the phone. AIS and DTAC also recently decided to do this for their customers. I don't know it they plan to charge for the service. I suspect that you would need to go to DTAC and subscribe and then they will unlock your AIS or Orange phone. The same would apply to the other providers. I would be suprised if they would be willing to do it to their own phones to allow you to go to another provider

The provider you want to use also must allow your foreign IDEN# (phone serial#) to operate on their network with their sim cards. DTAC and AIS both recently decided to allow this. Not sure what Orange is doing but they will probably follow suit if they are not doing it already. I believe it is also possible to change your IDEN number by flashing the firmware. You still have to get an IDEN# from the provider somehow. I suppose it is possible use one from an old phones that has been retired.

>any dualband gsm phone (they all are these days) will work

Note that Nokia has dualband 'world' phones that are 900/1900, i.e. they will work in the USA, but you are SOL if you want to access a network using the 1800MHz band.

Wagner

Archived