Laws about helmet driving a motorbike/scooter?!?

FIGJAM

Hi, I'm planning to buy a scooter (50cc) and was told by the seller that there is no need to wear an helmet on a 50cc.

I also asked him if the scooter can legally carry two person and the answer was positive.

This being Thailand I questioned about the same matter the police office near the beginning of Walking Street (I stay in Pattaya), the Tourist Police and the Highway Police on Sukhumvit Road. They all seemed confused and unsure about the laws that themselves are supposed to enforce!!

This matter is very important to me because if I must to wear an helmet also on a 50cc and/or the scooter cannot carry two persons I would very much prefer to buy a bigger and more cosy bike such as the Honda Wave and the like.

Could somebody enlighten me A.S.A.P.? THANKS!

Ciao, pao.

P.S. Are there any limitation by law on the engine power and/or max speed of the 50cc scooters?

P.P.S. Any advice is welcome!

Pao,

I don't know what the law says, but its common to see a family of four on a 90 or 100 cc bike. I doubt there any problem with two people on a 50 cc except, of course, for safety.

I believe you need to wear a helmet while riding a morotcylce or a motorbike everywhere in the kingdom. I have read that they are starting to crack down in some places, particularly around Bangkok.

Besides, IMHO, a helmet only makes sense, particularly when driving around other vehicles. Why would you NOT wear one?

Hope this helps.

As Rick says, you should wear a helmet on any kind of motorcycle anywhere in the world, not to comply with the law but for the sake of safety. And while I am on this topic, wear boots or at least a sturdy pair of shoes and gloves. The gloves are particularly important in a hot place like the LOS, where your hands can get sweaty and slip on the controls. I won't bother mentioning that you should leathers, because they would be unbearibly hot.

One final word; if you have a lady passenger, INSIST that she straddle the bike. My jaw nearly dropped when I saw women in long skirts sitting side-saddle on the back of a bike. F**king insane!

JG

Archived