Italian jailed on overstay allegedly attempts suicide

zzzz

3-months in jail for overstay seems harsh.

From Pattayamail:

Italian jailed on overstay allegedly attempts suicide

Boonlua Chatree

An Italian man jailed for overstaying his visa allegedly attempted to hang himself while awaiting deportation.

Salvatore Albenese, 44, was rushed to Banglamung Hospital after officers on the third-floor Pattaya Police Station jail found him hanging from a 2-meter-long bandage. Police are investigating which officer allowed the Italian to enter the cell with the long wrapping.

Albenese was unconscious with severe bruising to his neck, but recovered after about two hours. He told investigators he was stressed by his imprisonment and that the noise, heat and foul smell of the jail made him want to kill himself.

The Italian was awaiting deportation after being slapped Oct. 2 with a two-year suspended sentence, three months behind bars and a 2,000 baht fine for overstaying his visa.

ok ok.....I see that now but have also seen stupid shit in the newpaper where a guy will get arrested and sentenced for having drugs or whatever and will get a jail sentence of like 10 years AND a 5000k baht fine. So the monetary fine really does not go along with the time handed down for jail.

I think this guy must have overstayed repeatedly or was a VEEERRRRRYYYY long overstay.

Cav.....where do you see 4 days? Or did you dig deeper rather than my lazy ass which did nothing?

And if it was only 4 days, a 3 month jail sentence seems way over the top.

From the OP:

The Italian was awaiting deportation after being slapped Oct. 2 with a two-year suspended sentence, three months behind bars and a [color:red]2,000 baht fine for overstaying his visa[/color].

Again, I'll say many times in Thailand, the fine imposed does not go hand in hand with the jail time. Just cuz it's 2k for a fine, that could hae been a judge imposed fine based on nothing.

I really am not interested in the fine so much as the 3 months jail time. I have friend that overstayed 2 years and am curious as to how close he was way from getting a 3 month sentence.

Archived