How much are Apple Titanium Powerbooks?

steffi

How much is the "better" model in Thailand?

ie. 667, 512MB, 30gig, airport ready etc.

Say at the Panthip stores?

Pantipplaza's MSQL configuration is all screwed up so I cannot get any contact information for the stores there.

From what I can gather, and I researched well before I got one, the best place to buy is in the States and have it delivered to someone in the States.

Sometimes they quibble if your credit card is not a States based one but I always say "I am buying this computer to use on my 18 month study tour of the States, in the States and wish to have the machine delivered to a States address."

That usually works. The only exception I have heard is that Hong Kong can often provide a lower price.

Hope this helps.

Three things to consider:

A.) The Titanium g4 Powerbook did not change significantly in last years release. The processor speed jumped, more ram, and the addition of superdrives was great but the look and feel didn't change much. I predict a major change in this years release at MacWorld. Macworld is just around the corner so if you can wait you may be able to get the current 667 model at an incredible deal, or score the all new machine. You do realize that as soon as you pull the trigger on the new pbook you will regret buying the current model even if it is sensational (and it is).

B.) I have heard from a reliable source that Singapore is the place for cut rate electronics & computers. I have no proof but I do know someone who swears by this and I trust him.

C.) have you looked at sony's vaio laptops? I have and I would value another opinion.

I have a '99 lombard, have had it since it came out, I may just keep it but I always want an upgrade and I'm especting the new release to be a 'i gotta have it'

good luck

If you live in North America I don't think you will find the prices to be all that much cheaper if at all in Singapore. I looked at Macs last month and they were tad more than the same from Apple in the US, thats not counting other US vendors like Smalldog.com etc. Of course you will pay 3% GST of which 2% will be refunded. The big difference in the US is that because of the size and frequency of the market you can always find a deal from some one who just wants to move inventory. Last trip to Singapore I bought a notebook, for about what it would cost in the US, however compared to the same model in Indonesia I got another 64M RAM and a DVD player. I bought some EDO ram for about twice what the lowest price at Pricewatch.com and I got some RAM for a DEC Alphastation that was probably about 30% more than I would pay in the US, but it is an odd item. I have been hunting for a digital camera and have decided that price difference was enough that I could just wait till I am in the US or Europe later this year. I have an old OM-1 one that needed a fix up. I balked at what a several shops were asking in San Francisco, but ended up paying the same in Singapore last fall.

Sony's seem to be real expensive in Indonesia and Singapore.

Archived