Carpe Diem!

Fiery Jack

I'm hoping to get a piece of silver engraved in Thai script for a sanuking friend who's been having a hard time recently. I wanted to have the equivalent of the Latin phrase "Carpe Diem" (Sieze the day, i. e. live for today, don't worry about the future, grab opportunity while you can etc.). Now, being extremely, erm, linguistically challenged on the Thai front frown.gif, I asked a few BGs and then a couple of hotel receptionists (female wink.gif) what might be appropriate. On these separate occasions, both groups of assembled lovelies came up with "Dee-o". But "dee-o" (they wrote it down so I know it's the same word) is one of the few Thai words I know and I've always been led to believe (by phrase books I've sweated over) it's a bog-standard term which means "Wait a minute".

What gives? Does "dee-o" have some nuance appropriate to my quest of which I am unaware. Or can anyone come up with something snappy and more suitable for the "Carpe Diem" "Live for Now" motto?

Cheers in advance for your help, cunning linguists.

J wink.gif

ÃÕªÕÇÔµÃÂÙèÊÓËÃѺÇѹ¹Õé ¾ÃØ觹ÕéÂѧäÃè¶Ö§ live for today, tomorrow hasn't yet arrived.

mee chee wit you sum rup wun nee - proong nee yung mai teung.

Archived