Floods lower GNP expectations

temfarang

PM Abhisit Vejjajiva, attending the APEC meeting in Japan, told Chilean president yesterday that the floods might lower Thailand’s expected GDP growth from 8per cent to 7.7 per cent.

Five villages in Nakhon Si Thammarat’s Chawang district were preparing for evacuation yesterday after the discovery of a 2km-long crack on a nearby mountain, which could cause a landslide.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/11/14/national/Hundreds-flee-villages-as-landslide-looms-30142212.html

(the city has a population of over 100,000

,, one of the oldest towns of southern Thailand. based on Chinese records, most historians recognize the Tambralinga kingdom (700 AD) is the precursor community to Nakhon Si Thammarat.)

I've seen reports of no food in Khao Lak, tourist evacuations off Koh Tao & mud slide further south.

Has the weather effected tourism more?

[color:red]Me thinks, the best measure of tourism is tourists on the BTS ..no politics or TAT propaganda ,, just a BTS tourist body count[/color]

I was in Bkk in June & the BTS tourist count was way down.

in june '10, on the subway from rama 4 / kong toey market (queen siskret sp?) to asoke often I would (almost + / - )be the only farang on the MRT

I actually canceled a Thai trip 2 weeks ago because of typhoon, monsoon, flooding news .. & the continued rain forecast. ($200 to cancel plane ticket & no pre paid deposits made it an easy decision)

Archived