Where to buy

Been looking for a new laptop here in UK and came up with 3, Toshiba Tecra9000 - Compaq 2701EA - Sony Vaio PCGGRX316SP. Good ole blighty, I couln't find anywhere that had one in stock to sell.

Would/could I be better off buying in los? I am also going to Singapore for a few days would that be any better?

Loads in the States and the same in dollars as I pay in pounds but time is of an essence so I cannot await delivery.

Cheers

Dont know if you have booked your flight but you might consider stopping over in hong kong, i havent been there myself but have always heard they have the lowest prices in the world on virtually any type of electronics. Singapore is probably not bad and i know that taiwan (china airlines) is a big source of hardware.

One thing to consider though, if you will be in los for a long time, you should think about warranty/service. Not sure about the brands you mention but some companies only honor their warranty or pay for service in the country of purchase. At least thats true here in the states. So sometimes its better to pay a retail price and have a place to take it back if there are problems.

I just bought my wife a laptop at Sim Lim square in Singapore. The prices are compareable to retail in the US. The warranty is a 1 year international warranty and it even came with a Thai version of 98 and ME (which I chucked). There is another IT mart near the city hall MRT, but I found a place in Sim Lim square that was charging the same Cash or Credit. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a Toshiba as they advertise as being the most popular laptop in Asia. Because the market is smaller you will not find heavely discounted obsolete models as you ywould in the US. Make sure you get buy from a place that gives tax refund checks so that you can get a VAT refund at the airport.

adikgede

Thanks, I have not been to Singapore for over 10 years but will follow-up on your suggestion as its the latest version I am after.

It was not a factor of not being willing to buy retail in UK just not being able to find anyone able to sell, bags of old discounted models.

Archived