Anthony Bourdain in Laos

gobbledonk

Live in Los Angeles and have developed a natural revulsion/indifference towards celebrity. Friends come from out of town: "OMG, there's Camron Diaz!", "there's Ashton Kutcher" -- my reaction is: lets go somewhere else and get away from the idiots that will be swarming.

Years ago I walked into a bookstore in Pasadena killing time waiting to meet some co-workers for happy hour. Vromans. And it was packed with people when I got inside. I thought - hmmmm, this is annoying. And was about to leave when I saw that they had a guest author who was about to speak. Anthony Bourdain. Never heard of the guy.

And I liked him right away. Bright, thoughtful, softspoken and self-deprecating - but not in an act. From what I could detect anyway. And he was interesting. I stayed for most of it. Watched his show every now and then after.

He's alright. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grow up in LA and you see celebs everywhere, even go to school with them. It was always strange to see out of town folks go wild when they saw of film or TV star. Our reaction was "So what ... he/she shops here all the time."

Sure, but in your day Flash, that was Ethel Merman and Johnny Wiesmuller ! :neener:

(some of those stars from the 30s, 40s and 50s still look a lot better than many of their modern contemporaries. Modern 'pinups' are mostly trailer trash)

Archived