Interesting Article on Border in Bangkok Post

Gadfly

I actually think Thailand has everything to gain, and nothing to lose

If so, I am not sure I understand this recent comment from the Bangkok Post quoting a Thai government official:

"Thailand is of the opinion that resolving the conflict through bilateral talks is the best option, but Cambodia has turned to the ICJ."

Thailand is showing a brave face. What else can they do? They're not going to say we refuse to abide by any ICJ decision? Well they could, but it would make Thailand look like a rouge nation. The extreme yellow shirt faction have said or hinted at this, but I can't see this sitting well with the Oxford educated leadership of the Democrats.

I mean no disrespect to either the Democrat leadership or Oxford. There in a tough spot. They did not put in Thailand tough spot, but they will be blamed for the outcome. It's not fair, but its politics. I think Flashermac is right on why the government lost (but in more recent times I think the government has lost international arbitrations simply because they were disorganized and didn't want to spend the money needed for proper representation, but that is another issue).

Back to the ICJ decision in 1962. We can go back and forth over whether the language saying the map depicts the border is part of the judgment, the rationale for the judgment or something else (if something else, I am not sure what?). But the language is there. And because the language is there, it will need to be explained to any new ICJ panel. The new ICJ panel will, naturally enough, want to rely on the old ruling because its easier (they can avoid addressing sensitive and complicated issues) and rejecting a prior ICJ decision undermines the ICJ's credibility. That puts Thailand on its back foot.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great minds think alike. :D

A colonial power - and the French were a power even in Europe at the time - was forcing its will on an Asian nation during the age of colonialism. The court more or less said that whatever the French wanted to do was acceptable. The French "cheated" on the map? Well, so what. Were the Thais supposed to fight them over it?

If you look back at history, you will see that Rama VI declared war on Germany in 1918 not because of anything Germany had done, but because it was advantageous to be on the same side as the French and Brits - whose colonies bordered on Thailand! In 1893 the French fleet had forced its way up the Chao Phaya River and turned its guns on the Bangkok Grand Palace. They then presented their demands to Rama V. This was little more than 10 years before the 1904 survey the French "fudged" to put the temple ruins on their side regardless of the agreed border determination (the watershed).

I see a European court deciding in favour of a European protege (former French colony Cambodia) against the only SE Asian nation that managed to maintain its independence in the colonial era. People like to claim racism for everything under the sun these days. So what might you call the ICJ's 1962 decision?

p.s. I agree with Gad though. I don't see how the Thais can win this round any more than they did the last. Get ready for some pissed off Thais and a lot of politicians ranting and pointing fingers.

Flash,

I think your assessment of the historical and political aspects involved are spot on. And back then the place was of little importance and interest. Who knew it would become a cash cow tourist spot? I've been to Khao Phra Vihan about 10 or more times. When it was under Thai control and flying a Thai flag over the entrance the place was fairly well maintained and set up to take in tourists and make a profit that seemed to, at least in part, be spent keeping the place in a state of repair. I noticed soon after the Cambodians took control and flew their flag it was not long before the place started to go to hell. No maintenance at all, huge amounts of touts and makeshift stalls selling all matter of crap suddenly lined both sides of the walkways and stairs leading to the temple ruins. It turned to shit really. No thought of the tourists except how to get their money. No idea of how to keep the place attractive and of interest to western tourists.

If I had the power to choose who ran the place I'd choose the Thais.

I was a the ruins in late 1974. From the photos I've seen in recent years, I'd definitely say it appears run down and in worse shape than it was then. The Cambos now have a village next to it. Wasn't any such village when I was there. The place was so isolated that the Long Nol troops of the garrison bought their supplies from the Thais. The 20 baht admission paid for feeding the garrison.

p.s. I remember a fuss a few years ago about the Cambodians building a disco or something next to Angkor Wat. "Money is god" ...

Archived