Bangkok Film Festival 2001

Long Gun

Any residents/visitors in town who have any interest at all in cinema will be delighted to see that this Festival is coming up very soon - 16-25 November. This is one of the few opportunities of the year here to see anything from even slightly outside the mainstream.

The schedule is now up at http://www.bkkfilm.com but very little info about the movies themselves. I would really appreciate it if anyone could have a look through the list and recommend a few so I can start booking my tickets.

I noticed that the 'European Cut' of Jan Dara is being screened - I will be interested in how much longer this turns out to be than the heavily butchered version I saw. That gives me an excuse for going to see it again anyway! The new Coen Brothers movie is in there too - The Man Who Wasn't There - anybody seen this yet?

LG

As the festival opened today I thought I would try to get myself organised and buy advance tickets for all the films I wanted to see over the next 10 days.

Before the Tuesday quiz I bought a program and picked up a sheet with the screening details. After reading the synopses I had picked out about 30 movies I was interested in but other commitments (work, elephants, stuff like that) reduced the possibilies to 10, 5 days, 2 movies at a time. Very neat.

The schedule has various films asterisked, others with double asterisks but no key as to what they meant. I soon found out. One asterisk means that the film has not arrived yet as it is being shown at another festival! Two asterisks means that they have not had confirmation that it will arrive by the scheduled date!! AS they can only sell tickets after the film has arrived, apparently, perhaps because of problems last year when one or two never made it, I was able to buy tickets for exactly TWO films. I did query the wisdom of having a film festival with no actual films - on some days they are ALL asterisked but got exactly what I expected in response - a smile! Which was nice.

So, here's hoping that, by the time I get back from Surin, that the postman has been, and if not that 'Girls Night Out' (Korea) and 'Dancing At The Blue Iguana' (USA) are good enough to justify the effort I made.

LG

Long gun

not very good beginning,the opening In the Mood of Love was actually only for people with invitation and it seems that Wong Kar Wai couldn't do it.

Tomorow 7.40pm seems to be the last screening for this movie.Afraid I won't be able to make it frown.gif" border="0

While we're talking about movies,does anyone know where in Bangkok is a shop selling english speaking VCDs other than the couple of dozens U find everywhere?Or even asian movies with english subtitles?

Archived