ATT: NEWBIES..... "Private Dancer"

Hi,

let me say that my opinion is that money is the entrance to the love of BG, but not necessarily so that more money means more love. One of my danish friends is not rich and goes to Pattaya once a year, he lives in a hotel costing 300 baht and just gives BG 500 for a night. Anyhow a BG see him as her dream-prince.

Also I've met BG's trying to commit suicide then their nice boyfriends never contacted them again.

elef

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zane may, i can't resist.

where did you get the idea that thais think in terms of "us against the world" and are individually proud of not having been colonised. my old lady for example does not give a rats arse about colonisation, and so do most thais i know, and i speak about people not in the bars.

also that thais are "bonded", see themselves as "brothers and sisters" is news for me. thai society is deeply fractured by a very hierarchal class system, which makes the mixing of different social classes almost impossible and has led already to one civil war in recent history.

also your idea about "love" in thailand is a bit strange. there is life outside the bar existing in thailand, even if it sounds unbelievable.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

I call our view of love, "Love on the Western Plan." In that view, saying the words "I love you" is of monumental importance. That words would be important to subsistence villagers (TBG and her TBF) is absurd. Don't look for love on the western plan in Thailand. When you give love on the western plan there, don't expect it to be received gratefully. Zane

If you're talking about BGs then you're probably right. Outside the bar scene I don't think love is any different from the West. Look at Thai films such as Nang Naak for example, a story about a girl who loves her husband so much she comes back from the dead to haunt him...

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

zane may, i can't resist.

where did you get the idea that thais think in terms of "us against the world" and are individually proud of not having been colonised. my old lady for example does not give a rats arse about colonisation, and so do most thais i know, and i speak about people not in the bars.

also that thais are "bonded", see themselves as "brothers and sisters" is news for me. thai society is deeply fractured by a very hierarchal class system, which makes the mixing of different social classes almost impossible and has led already to one civil war in recent history.

also your idea about "love" in thailand is a bit strange. there is life outside the bar existing in thailand, even if it sounds unbelievable.

Khun Fly,

I bow to your wider experience.

Since we Nanapongers and the book Private Dancer are most focused on the lower class Thais, specifically bar and tourist workers, my reference was more to them.

I don't mean the average Thai goes around feeling proud that LOS was never a colony. I mean that there is an historical sense of national pride that stems from it.

Thai men and women have told me that other Thai's were their brothers and sisters. I asked if that meant real family. "He Thai man, I Thai man. Same brother."

In my travels around the country I have very little access to educated or upper class Thais. I have met three that spoke English and we never touched on class division so I haven't seen that concept at work as you have.

As far as love is concerned, I simply see it Love and Romance on the Western Plan as a luxury which people of the third world can't afford. Only some of Thailand is third world, of course. There are a couple of ladies in LOS that I love. I stubbornly give my Western love and they love me back in their way. Not a meeting of the souls I would have with a Western GF. But I am not disappointed because I don't expect a Thai lady to love me as would be loved in America. I am happy in both places.

Aside from my direct experiences, Nanapong is influential in forming my ideas about Thai people. Private Dancer was not. It was far too negative. Expats that marry and work in LOS see a far wider slice of life than I do.

Yours Truly,

Zane May

zane may,

no need to bow heads here.

i did not speak about upper classes in thailand. i prefer not to be around them, as i don't like most of the ones i had dealings with. nowadays i rarely have to deal with them which makes life a lot easier. my old lady comes from the same village background as most women in the scene, but has never been in the scene.

love in western terms is possible, but very difficult in the scene. people in the third world sometimes have not much more than love, and the lower one goes in the social ladder the more straightforward people often become in their emotional expressions.

the message boards can be a good way to learn about thailand, but not necessarily. there is a lot of rubbish spread around by people whose cynism has taken over their common sense.

you wanna know about thailand, there is no other way than learning the language and staying extended periods in a village. and hoping that good experiences outweight the bad ones, that the bad ones don't make you bitter.

Well Suck...I mean Suk...

One african american gf did comment on what she perceived to be my infatuation with my computer: "If that thing could suck your dick, you wouldn't need me for anything!"

Not one to mince words, that girl!

Peace bro,

Zane

quote:

Originally posted by OldAsiaHand:

One of the oddest things about Thailand is this obsession by 'lower class' farangs that only they are in touch with the real place since they've gone upcountry and pissed in the same field as their hooker girlfriend's water buffalo. Chula and the Emporium and nice high-rise apartments and the Polo Club --- and a lot of other places where you find these 'upper class' Thais the backpackers so love to sneer at --- are as much 'the real Thailand' as upcountry villages are. If they're more your style, don't let the 'lower class' snobs put you down.

I wouldn't query your right to live as you like and hang out with whoever you like but you are talking about a very small minority of the population there. For the majority of Thailand the reality IS probably pissing with the buffalos. You don't HAVE to experience it if you don't want to but I would agree with whoever said that your understanding of how Thailand works would be incomplete until you have done it.

LG

oldasiahand,

if you enter a discussion, you are supposed to stay with the facts of of what another participant posted, you do not make completely unfounded assumtions and hurl insults. you can be sarcastic or in complete disagreement, but stay with the facts.

if you have a problem with me, or my post, i am ready to discuss or debate, or even argue, but i am not honoring senile outbursts with similar beerbar-style statements.

so, if you are the old hand you claim to be, then talk sense and put up a post, where we "backpackers" and "low class farangs" can learn something.

Archived