The word "Thai" and it's meaning

I've always understood that the word "Thai" means "free" however, I have never heard anyone use it or write it (although I am far from fluent) and I don't see it in my dictionary. Can anyone comfirm or deny the definition and is it ever used in spoken or written language?

Thanks in advance

This word is not usually used in normal written or spoken language though it is in thai dictionaries. Its meaning being listed as free or freedom loving, being both a noun and adjective.

It would be interesting to know whether this word existed in this form before being used as the name of the country.

The name was coined as a replacement for "Siam" by Phibul Songkhram in 1939. He was a very nationalistic right wing leader and this name was designed to link the name of the "tai" ethnic group with the name of the country. It almost seems convenient that it also means "free".

ä·Â = Thai

ä· = Free

ä· is mostly used in written language.

It can also be used in a spoken language in a sense of freedom, like when you don't want to live with your parents, don't want to work 9 to 5 in a company, or.... don't want to have a wife/husband!

Archived