Two brands to pick from on polling day

Flashermac

Opinion by Krissana Parnsoonthorn

I drove my little boy to school yesterday morning and we passed by a long line of posters along the road showing various MP candidates. My boy likes to read their names and surnames out loud, practising his Thai language.

I asked him which was his favourite among the posters and he answered instantly: "No. 5."

I was so surprised. I asked him further, why had he chosen that number? He told me that the man in the poster holds a cute dog and is totally different from the others, given his emotionally expressive face.

In this case, Chuwit Kamolvisit, the No.5 candidate, has been very successful in using his striking gimmicks to make an impression on the public, my son included.

Then my curious boy asked me back, what about my choice? I desperately told him that I didn't have one at the moment. He turned his face to look at me directly, and asked: "Why?"

I hold him in a diplomatic way that I was in a decision-making process and would let him know later.

I think many people feel the same as I do about which party or which MP candidate we should be voting for.

[color:red]On Monday night I watched a news report on TV which said many polls showed 40% of Thai voters were as yet undecided and this would be a major factor for the two big political parties - Democrat and Pheu Thai - which side this segment of voters chooses on July 3.[/color]

[color:red]The polls also said the people are worried about the post-election situation, whether there will be a new political calamity or not.[/color]

For myself, I haven't found the policy claims and pledges of any political party interesting enough.

And now I'm trying hard to find some clues to help my decision. I have to say that it's not easy and it's not fun at all to have to pick one party or one MP candidate, with only 11 days left to make a choice.

[color:red]The first helpful suggestion came from a leading retail executive, who said she would vote for the party that would cause the least uncertainty and chaos. She said we should think positively and be confident in the future of Thailand. We have already been through horrible political incidents these past few years, ranging from the airports' closure to rampant arson in the heart of Bangkok.[/color]

I truly support her, but I still have a question: how do I deduce what will likely happen after the election? Thai politics is very uncertain and most Thai politicians rarely keep their promises, as they always think about their own power and interests first.

[color:red]Another tip came from a branding expert, who suggested that I apply a simple marketing rule to the political parties. Treat them like the same product and select the best brand that is worth the price you are paying, he said.[/color]

He told me the allegory of having dinner at a choice of restaurants. The first restaurant is a long-established place whose quality of food you are familiar with. But you might have to wait so long for the food to arrive that you could lose your appetite altogether.

Another restaurant offers new fusion food and many people are lining up to try it. But the problem is, you don't as yet know what the food tastes like. Despite its nice look, the restaurant's offerings might turn out to be not as delicious as expected.

My branding guru asked me whether I now had a clearer picture in my mind. My answer, probably yes. At least, I've started to see the outline of my choice candidate.

Thus far I have many useful clues at hand and I will selectively use some good points from all. It's neither right nor wrong, I think, to make my choice this way. For me, the most important thing is to accept the ballot results and pray for good consequences post-election.

[color:red]I think many Thais don't care that much which party gets to form the coalition government because there is not much difference. What they care about is the government's ability to manage the country and drive the economy foward to greater prosperity. We are always most concerned about our income and our well-being.[/color]

Bangkok Post

Archived