Somluck gloves up for a new challenge

Flashermac

KHON KAEN : Thailand's first-ever Olympic gold medallist Somluck Khamsing is confident he will deliver a knockout punch in Khon Kaen province during his first foray into politics.

Mr Somluck, the featherweight boxing champion at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, is running in Khon Kaen's Constituency 10 on the Chartthaipattana ticket. The constituency covers Ban Hat, Phra Yuen and Ban Phai districts.

Mr Somluck, whose trademark quote is "I am not boasting", has launched a door-to-door campaign to meet voters in villages. And thanks to his roles in several TV drama series and his sporting career, the former boxer is warmly received by local residents. Young and old alike are eager to help his campaign.

For his first campaign rally on June 22, a crowd of more than 10,000 people flocked to a paddy field in Ban Phai district to hear him speak.

[color:red]His growing popularity has forced Pheu Thai Party candidate Ruengdet Suwannafai, a strong contender in the race, and Bhumjaithai Party's Premsak Piayura to intensify their campaigns.[/color]

Mr Somluck said his fast-growing support from locals prompted Pheu Thai's No.1 list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra to plan a campaign rally on Thursday to help Mr Ruengdet claw back. The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship is also planning a rally for the Pheu Thai candidate, Mr Somluck said.

"Now I am 80% confident I'll floor my opponents from both the red [Pheu Thai] and blue [bhumjaithai] corners with a knock-out blow. As a boxer, I would not have entered this race unless I was confident," he said, adding voters were fed up with the same old politicians and political troubles.

He shrugged off critics who have labelled him an "ornamental candidate" with no chance of winning. He said he was determined to become an MP. He has held numerous meetings with his canvassers scattered throughout all villages in Constituency 10.

During the last leg of his campaign, he will visit voters in all villages on foot.

"As a politician, I walk more than I run. During my boxing career, I had to run 2-3 hours a day," Mr Somluck said while laying on sofa.

"But now, I walk from 7am to 11am in the morning to visit local voters. In the evening, I start walking from 6pm until dark every day.

The former boxer-turned-politician is hopeful July 3 will mark a tremendous career change for him.

Bangkok Post

Archived