Final rallies fail to hit high note

Flashermac

The evening downpour may have spoiled the party mood at the final rallies of the two major parties, but the show did go on. And because a political rally is a highly anticipated public performance, complete with stage management, lighting techniques and scripted procedures aimed at generating an emotional impact, the Bangkok Post is bringing you a review of the end-of-campaign shows that took place in the capital yesterday. KONG RITHDEE writes up the Pheu Thai rally at Rajamangala Stadium, and SAMILA WENIN critiques the Democrat drive at the Royal Plaza.

Choice of venue

Dem: Sticking to tradition, the Democrats went for the Royal Plaza, although it was not an entirely ideal location on the first Friday night after payday.

PT: Though no Kylie Minogue, Yingluck Shinawatra and her Pheu Thai colleagues aimed for a full concert impact at the 70,000-seat Rajamangala Stadium.

Atmosphere

Dem: You couldn't really say there was a thrillingly unified mood since the Royal Plaza basically is divided by the King Rama V statue.

PT: It was mainly a red shirt affair and a meet-and-greet for groupies, a show of force rather than an attempt to convince undecided voters. [color:red]Yingluck memorabilia sold well, highlighting the fact that this was a campaign built around a personality.[/color]

Stage design

Dem: Around the main screen were other screens showing party rallies in nine provinces. To be honest, they were a tad too distracting.

PT: Despite having plenty of room to play with, the lighting was too basic to maximise the grand setting of the venue.

Opening acts

Dem: The party's first chance to have a moment of grandeur, with candidates and ministers singing the national anthem together, was spoiled by the rain. And there were simply too many people onstage, milling in a disorderly fashion.

PT: Chalerm Yubamrung stole the thunder as he got to speak when the sky was still bright blue. With his typical mix of barbed humour, bravado and rhetoric, he took a gentle poke at Abhisit Vejjajiva and brought the house down.

Passion factors

Dem: While the crowd thrilled at vitriol against Thaksin Shinawatra, speakers preferred to stick to policies and their work as government. It sounded like a company AGM, not an emotional affair.

PT: The rain partly spoiled the party even though people came prepared. Nattawut Saikua tried his best to rouse the mood with his policy push buttons, but only partially succeeded.

Headline act

Dem: The build-up to Mr Abhisit's appearance was well-scripted enough for all the front row ladies of a certain vintage to scream their hearts out.

The PM was never known for emotional delivery and played to his strengths, drawing out flaws in Pheu Thai's policy.

PT: [color:red]Yingluck stood in the rain - crowded by wet reporters, without anybody covering her - and read from a prepared speech.

Amazingly, the makeup and hair held firm despite the downpour.

Her tone is mezzo-soprano, and her habit of ending most sentences with high-pitched chai mai ka? soon began to sound repetitive.[/color]

The last word

Dem: It was a respectable show, not playing too much on hatred, although at the cost of them failing to push their big night to its emotional peak.

PT: Despite great promises, the rally wasn't a sizzling finale. It was a reiteration rather than a visionary outlook.

Quote of the day

[color:red]"I saw the sky when I was at home and I knew it was going to rain, so I prepared everything - towels, jacket, and all. I forgot just one thing. My underwear." - Korn Chatikavanij[/color]

"When I was 46, I was much better looking than Mr Abhisit." - Chalerm Yubamrung

Link

Archived