Australian Federal police to assess Burma war crime claim

Julian2

Australian Federal police to assess Burma war crime claim

THE Australian government said today it would refer claims from a Myanmar refugee that he had committed war crimes in his former homeland, including carrying out 24 executions, to the federal police.

In a report carried by the Australian news agency AAP, the man said he had been an undercover military intelligence officer in Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, from 1987 to 1992.

He said had shot 24 people in the back of the head during the 1988 anti-government uprising and, as leader of a group which infiltrated the student movement to target and kill protesters, was also implicated in at least 100 further killings.

"I did it, I am a war criminal," he said.

"For so long I have lived like an animal.

"Now I want to release what I carry inside for 20 years. I want to say sorry to the mothers and fathers of the people I killed."

The man, who is now an Australian citizen and has lived in the country for more than a decade, could not be contacted but told AAP he was prepared to turn himself in to Australian authorities.

"These statements are extremely serious and the matter will be referred to the Australian Federal Police for assessment," Attorney-General Robert McClelland said in a statement.

"Australia has a strong framework in place for protecting the Australian community from the perpetrators of war crimes, and for ensuring their proper investigation and prosecution."

Australian Federal Police said they were aware of the man's statements but refused to speculate on what actions they could take against him.

"The AFP encourages any person who may have further information to provide that information to the AFP," a spokeswoman said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/australia-police-to-assess-burma-war-crime-claim/story-e6frea7l-1226097093104

Archived