Gem translations

trotsky2

I came across a good word in the dictionary yesterday. I was flipping threw and came across the Thai word plauy. I thought wow I used to have students named Plauy. --sorry no Thai fonts only Chinese here frown.gif I think the spelling was pau/pung? (actually maybe the next one with the circle at the top going the other way, I forget its name), lau ling, au/ang, and then yaw yak. The word translates into English as gem. However, the same plauy with a different tone (which one I forget the rule...bad student, the one with the vertical line..) translates to.."someone with a loose tongue!!"

Huh, this may explain the name of the Tub Tim guest house on Samet. I have stayed there many times and wondered what the hell kind of name is Tub Tim. Perhaps it is the Thai translated to English. Originally I thought it may be named after the owner who may be a little tubby and named Tim. However this turned out to be the wrong guess. The place is owned by a really friendly Thai Chinese woman not a fat falang named Tim.

Quote from My Cow Jai

>Pet - word for diamond (and also for the spiceyness of food)

Sorry they are two diffe¾rent words!

Pet = diamond pronounced with a high tone ྪÃ

Pet = hot+spicy pronounced with a lower tone. à¼ç´

GTG

I`ve stayed at Ao Tub Tim too a couple of times and I was with a girl named - believe it or not - Tub Tim. This caused some confusion from time to time when I asked "where is Tum Tim" Childish, I know, but we had a lot of laughs anyway.

The official slogan for Koh Samet goes like this:

Koh Samet because 10.000 mosquitoes cannot be wrong.

I sure never seen so many and big mosquitoes anywhere in Thailand before. At dusk and dawn (not that I would know) their numbers were incredible even on the beach.

Hua Nguu

Archived