Would You Recommend Phuket To Anyone ?

gobbledonk

Had a woman in here yesterday - needed to print out some doco for her upcoming overseas trip. Early 30s, never been OS, and she and her GF were off to Phuket. I bit my tongue, but a major part of me wanted to grab her and shout : 'Anywhere but Phuket !'. Its the one place in Thailand I refuse to visit, based largely on persistent reports of ripoffs, theft and violence in Patong. Am I being too hard on the 'island paradise' ?

Had a woman in here yesterday - needed to print out some doco for her upcoming overseas trip. Early 30s, never been OS, and she and her GF were off to Phuket. I bit my tongue, but a major part of me wanted to grab her and shout : 'Anywhere but Phuket !'. Its the one place in Thailand I refuse to visit, based largely on persistent reports of ripoffs, theft and violence in Patong. Am I being too hard on the 'island paradise' ?

If you never went anywhere else, then you'd probably like Phuket. It has a little of everything and is still cheap by Western standards. It is set up for tourists which makes it easy to get around. You'll see plenty of things that will surprise and impress a first time visitor. There are scams, but it is relatively safe. Phuket is my least favorite place to visit in Thailand but I'll take it over most other places outside Thailand. Anyway, knowing women, her impression of place will depend more on how well she gets along with her friend during the trip.

I have friends, an Aussie couple, who love Phuket and spend at least a week there on their annual trip to Thailand.

They spend time here, Chiang Mai and Bangkok but like Phuket the best.

They're both pretty serious drinkers so whether Phuket is a better drinking town.... :dunno:

I guess its horses for courses - I didnt particularly like Cairns, Port Douglas or Noosa, and I loathed Kuta, but I know people who are perfectly happy to spend a week or two in places like that. Its weird - I still want the infrastructure and streets that arent rolled up at 5pm, but I dont want every second business to be 100% reliant on the tourist dollar - even here in Oz, that really gets under my skin.

Guest lazyphil

phuket is still a good lace to holiday. i had 11 nights in kata recently, found it relaxing and friendly, a few annoying tailors but thats it. lots of russian couples and familys who are private but not uncouth and boorish.

Used to go most trips back in the day, and with Strategic Airlines firing up in Melbourne a heap of lads and couples at work have been and loved it. Having said that, as Seb says, if you've never been anywhere else it would be awesome. I used to stay in Karon or Kata and found it nice and relaxing - this time I'll be staying in Karon at one of my usual guesthouses. Top chick runs/owns the place, 800 a night, less for 7+ nights.

From what I see/read/hear, Patong can be a shit fight at times.

Guest lazyphil

i rented a 3 litre turbo isuzu dmax truck to get around.....just great fun burning rubber around the island and beyond off the island to phang nga.....avoid the high price tuk tuks in air conditioned comfort with buckets of power :elephant:

phuket is fun as far as i'm concerned

Archived