Ko Kret and Thai Business Sense

Ckrisg

Has anyone been to Ko Kret, this write up appears in the Bangkok Post. Is it worth a visit on those lazy long afternoons before hitting Nana.

Ko Kret boasts an enormous number of food stalls and restaurants. Views of the river can be enjoyed while having a cool drink and enjoying a nice river breeze. There is a man who has recently set up an adorable bamboo-style caf? and has decided to sell tea only. I'm not sure about his business sense, but his shop is huggable.

Ko Kret is a popular shopping destination for locals and is becoming increasingly popular with tourists. From kitsch to kitchenware to earthenware, market stalls and small shops abound and prices are reasonable. Truth said, I was trying to keep Ko Kret a secret for myself but it seems to be too late. I would recommend visiting during the week if you want to escape the crowds. Many of the shops are closed but the island becomes infinitely quieter and even more relaxing.

Chris

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Ckrisg ]

I've been to the Island, quite nice but not great. Get a longtail from Tha Nam Nonthaburi.

There is quite an interesting museum attached to the wat. Food is good and plenty of choice, just not that much to see after the third "earthenware pot shop".

Go see for yourself but don't expect too much.

You don't need to take a long-tail all the way from Nonthaburi. Some express boats run up to Pak Kret; from the pier in Pak Kret there walk back a few hundred metres (southerly direction), until you get to a ferry which takes you across the river to Pak Kret. From the ferry pier you see a wat with a precariously leaning chedi on the Ko Kret side (the chedi's foundation has been weakened by sand erosion).

Ko Kret is a pleasant little excursion from BKK, but nothing stunning. The museum is indeed quite interesting, possibly the high;-light of the isle (ar least, for those who are interested in some culture).

From Ko Kret you can hire long-tail boats to the well-known, nearby "sweets village" Bang Bua Thong, where you can observe traditional Thai sweets being made. The sweets look pretty colourful and tasty - that is, if you don't mind the flies which buzz around the little open-air "factories".

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Best bet is to take the Chao Phaya River Express boat some Sunday morning from Maharaj Pier (near the Grand Palace). The trip to the island and back lasts about half a day, including a stop at a wildlife sanctuary. The island itself has an interesting centuries old temple and some nice handicraft villages. Be a good trip to take a girl with you on. You go on a nice big boat and the round trip is only a 250 baht! The Express boat company also has a round trip to Bang Pa In (Ayutthaya) and another down to the gulf and to the Ancient City. Can't beat their prices -- a hell of a lot cheaper than the hotel trips or even hiring a long-tail boat. The Ancient City trip even includes a buffet lunch. The trip, lunch and all admission fees are covered in the 780 baht price. The Ba Pa In trip costs 350 baht. All the tours have English speaking guides. The tours are only on Sundays. The rest of the week, the boats carrying passengers up and down the river.

The numbers for more info and reservations are 623-6001-3, 226-3002-3 and 222-5330

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

Archived