Is Cashing In Ff Miles On Delta Typical Of Airlines?

dean

Recently, Delta offered 100% bonus miles for transferring miles to another account. The last time I flew to LOS, I went Delta. My wife and son also went Delta, but for a longer stay. We all had around 20,000 miles, so I transferred mileage from my wife's account and son's account to bring my account to just over 80,000 miles, the minimum needed for a free ticket to LOS. I don't plan on using the miles until the summer of 2013 but have been checking dates for next summer to see if there is any availability. There is some availability but when I check particulars, 75% of the time, there is either a 17 hour layover in Marita (or worse, involving a change of airports in Japan and then going on to JFK, where there is another 12 hour layover before I can get a plane to Kansas City). Is this just a Delta thing or are all airlines doing this? Unless the mileage requirements change in the next 18 months, I am confidant that I can get a flight in both directions that require no more than a 25 hour flight time (from BKK to KC, which is normal, going through narita and MSP). I may even try to go one direction or both on Korean air, as they fly into Chiang Mai, which is my final destination. Its just, in the past, I have seen flights on Delta leaving KC and going through MSP, Detroit, Atlanta, all of which may add 4-5 hours to the total flight time. But taking a plane trip which should take 25 hours then take 45 to 50 hours, with over nights in both Japan and New York, is ridiculous. By the way, if I can fly Korean air, I can choose to have a stop over in Seoul. If I did that, I would stay for 3 days. Any thoughts about staying there and what to do?

The airlines seem to be pushing people to accept more stops and longer flights. I usually fly United and always need a pile of FF miles to get anywhere!!

Last time checked, I would need 120,000 miles for a RT, Chicago <> BKK, economy.

250,000 to fly biz class.

United usually has the flights I want available but never has the super-saver flights using 60,000 miles available :dunno:

I have used Delta before from MSP. Never a long layover in Narita. Like 2 1/2 hours.

This trip I used my miles on United. That was a joke.

Flew from MSP to Chicago. Then they have a plane delay of 4 1/2 hours.

I ask why the delay. No answer.

Then I ask about what will happen in Narita as the flight will not make it in time to catch the flight to BKK.

We will let you know when you get there, they tell me.

Well great, What to I tell my wife who is coming to get me at the airport.

Call her from Narita they say... Yea right.

Then I get a call from them while I'm sttill in Chicago. Do you want us to setup a new ticket for you now? they ask.

I say no I will go to the counter and do it.

I then go and they set me up for an over night in Nartia, plus hotel.

Catch flight in the morning and arrive in BKK. at 6pm.

Ok I call my wife and tell her. Ok will meet you then.

I then get to Narita and they hussle me and others to the old airport to catch a flight at 12:30 to BKK.

What??

What happened to this plan I ask?

Well you can stay,but at your cost, they tell me.

So off I go on the bus.

Then trying to get ahold of my wife to tell her the change. Thank goodness I got my U.S. mobile to work. Hate to see the bill though.

Every time I have used United it has been a pain..

Sorry for the rant.

I have used Delta before from MSP. Never a long layover in Narita. Like 2 1/2 hours.

This trip I used my miles on United. That was a joke.

Flew from MSP to Chicago. Then they have a plane delay of 4 1/2 hours.

I ask why the delay. No answer.

Then I ask about what will happen in Narita as the flight will not make it in time to catch the flight to BKK.

We will let you know when you get there, they tell me.

Well great, What to I tell my wife who is coming to get me at the airport.

Call her from Narita they say... Yea right.

Then I get a call from them while I'm sttill in Chicago. Do you want us to setup a new ticket for you now? they ask.

I say no I will go to the counter and do it.

I then go and they set me up for an over night in Nartia, plus hotel.

Catch flight in the morning and arrive in BKK. at 6pm.

Ok I call my wife and tell her. Ok will meet you then.

I then get to Narita and they hussle me and others to the old airport to catch a flight at 12:30 to BKK.

What??

What happened to this plan I ask?

Well you can stay,but at your cost, they tell me.

So off I go on the bus.

Then trying to get ahold of my wife to tell her the change. Thank goodness I got my U.S. mobile to work. Hate to see the bill though.

Every time I have used United it has been a pain..

Sorry for the rant.

Sounds exactly like one of the United flights I was on last year!

One time. last year, they book us at a hotel and we flew the next day. Room and meals paid by the airline.

Another time, last year, they bus'd us to the other airport and we flew in at 6AM to BKK.

Both times, United decided to do extensive maintenance at the gate! like they didn't know to change the tires BEFORE they took the plane to the gate??? azzholes!!

Good news was that they gave me 20% off coupons both times, so like a $400 savings on the next flight.

Archived