Myanmar/Burma Sanuk

I'm considering a side trip out to Myanmar later this year and am trying to research sanuk options out there.

From researching previous posts there seems to be a healthy freelance scene operating out of the Equatorial Disco and some peeps also mentioned somewhere called the Rangoon Entertainment Compex as an option. I'd really like to find out more.

Any help around guest friendly hotels would also be appreciated. Anacdotal information I've received suggests that lower-mid range places are avaliable in Yangon/Rangoon for $10 a night, a good deal lower than the oft quoted prices to be seen on the net.

So, please add any comments to this thread but I would ask one thing. In the past when Burma/Myanmar questions have been raised on this forum loads of 'politically correct sex tourists' have chipped in with a 1001 reasons not to go there.

Guys, please understand that I've read all all those arguments already and I'd really like practical sanuk information as a response to my question and not political arguments. Thanks in advance.

Hi Mart

Did this as a side trip last June. Sanuk is definitely alive and well in Rangoon, as a bonus the beer is cheap!!

I stayed at a place called Beauty Land Inn but the cost was more like $25 than $10. Great place though and no problem bringing girls back, although I had already tipped the staff as a precursor.

Asia Plaza disco (attached to Hotel of the same name) was the best place I found to pick up freelancers. Started off paying $50 all night, for 0ne, graduated to $80 all night for 2 and ended with one of the girls spending a full week with me for $200.

Also tried Mandalay but no luck there so had to spend a few days just being a tourist. Fantastic place though despite the lack of sanuk and it was a nice break really, seeing all the sites in the daytime and getting rat arsed in the evening with the locals. Again, beer cheap, as is food and transport.

Myanmar is definitely worth the visit. (And to think back home in the UK I'm an ardent trade union steward preaching equality and fairness to the workers and generally joining in with all the boycotts. Ah well, we all need a holiday!!!!!!!!!)

as previous poster intimated, hotel disco freelancer sanook is more expensive in Yangoon. very mercenary (not my idea of sanook) It should never be the goal of one's visit over there. Beer at major hotel discos are 5$ apiece (215 bahts),though included in the entrance price. well,yes you have to pay to get in, more expensive on the week-end. As i posted before, better find the discos tucked within 2 6-stories buildings, off mahabandoolah street. It's about a 1/2 mile from Sule Pagoda, turn right when you reach the Pass-over, or ask someone near that neighborood. Quite central anyway. One disco on every floor, my favorite is the one on the 6th floor. entrance is a couple bucks and you get 2 drinks for that. Young, dollish girls in there, but "working", yes. No skills, really, so be warned.

Beauty Land, whatever is said, does not encourage bringing guests. It is more of a traveler's hang out. Much better, if a bit further is the EASTERN hotel (tel:293 815, fax 951-294346, 194/196 BO MYAT HTUN St) very clean, with all amenities for 15$ (5$ for guest),and the QUEEN's hotel nearby, a bit older but same fare and no hassle for guests. I stayed at the Eastern hotel, I recommend it.

Pattaya 127/ Pilg987

Many thanks for your Yangon insights and especially the news that Beer is cheap (except in the disco's). I can live with that.

Seems to me that there are some parallels with Vietnam in terms of the freelancer cost from the upmarket discos.

I'll still take the trip but more for the 'fresh fields' experience than for the sanuk.

Incidentally, another option would be to go North and overland from BKK to enjoy the sanuk possibilities of Tachileik which is just over the border from Mai Sae and where the Sanuk prices are more in line with Cambodia or small town Thailand.

Either way I'll post my findings here on this thread and at the MSN Cambo board I moderate

thanks again

Mart

Archived