Bye Bye Market?

Flashermac

SRT rules on Chatuchak

Chatuchak Weekend Market vendors have been given a March 13 deadline to renew their rental contracts or lose their rights, the Transport Ministry says.

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT), which has taken over the operations of the market from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, yesterday opened the books to existing vendors to renew their contracts at the new monthly fee of 3,157 baht per stall with two year leases.

The SRT earlier bowed to vendor pressure to scrap the one-time set fee of 50,000 baht and a deposit of 20,000 baht per stall.

About 100 stall holders yesterday gathered at the market and later blocked the outbound section of Phahon Yothin road to pressure the SRT to reduce the fee rate. They insisted it should be less than 1,000 baht a month with a 30-year contract period.

About 80 police were deployed to direct traffic and monitor the situation. Traffic around the market was disrupted and motorists were advised to avoid the area.

A second group of 100 crowd control police was put on standby.

Deputy Transport Minister Chatt Kuldiloke said if any existing vendors did not renew their contracts by March 13 they would be considered to have given up their rights and the SRT would accept new lessees.

Pol Lt Gen Chatt said most of the protesters stand to lose money because they have sublet their stalls to others.

"The SRT's rates will squeeze them out. I will investigate and take action to get rid of under-the-table payments or unfair rents in a year," he said.

Pol Lt Gen Chatt said the new monthly fee of 3,157 baht is appropriate and most vendors accept it.

The increased fee will help to improve the overall market set-up, he said.

"Those who find the rates unacceptable, I will find new places for them," Pol Lt Gen Chatt said.

SRT governor Yutthana Thapcharoen yesterday said the agency agreed to revise the conditions by cancelling the one-time fee and deposit.

He said the new contracts to be signed with the registered vendors would last two years and be renewable.

"I think the new terms should be acceptable to most of the vendors," he said.

As for the protesting vendors, negotiations will continue with them.

According to Mr Yutthana, the SRT will review its market management plan after March 13.

Kasem Kosanutham, a retailer, said that without the one-time fee, the new rates are acceptable. He urged the SRT to improve conditions in the market and regulate unregistered vendors who operate on its periphery.

"The hawkers need to be regulated, otherwise the registered vendors will find it hard to maintain their businesses," Mr Kasem said.

My link

Archived