multi-language support

i am using windows 98,how can i get to use thai language.

i understand that if i upgrade to Me or 2000,it will work but then i think i will lose support of some of my existing systems.

i feel that there is an easy solution to this if any one can help me.

then i can use my thai-dic program which needs thai language support.

thank you.

If your Thai program is the Thaisoft one, the only versions of 95/98 and Me that work with it properly are the Thai versions. To make it work you need full SYSTEM FONT support which is only available internationally with Windows 2000 and XP.

Although you won't get 98 to display system fonts in Thai, to make it functional in every other respect with Thai fonts etc. go to http://www.thailand-uk.com and click on the "Thai fonts" section. Full instructions for 95/98/Me regarding Thai Language Support, displaying Thai fonts and using a Thai keyboard are given there.

I upgraded from 98 to XP and have no problems running any software. The ThaiSoft Dictionary now works perfectly. There are XP instructions on the above website which guide you through setting it up to work with Thai programs.

Re: "It works with my XP pro english vers.but not with WIN 2000 pro english."

That's quite surprising to learn. With XP Home & Pro, full language support is included on the CD. For 2000 is there nothing similar available on the Windows Update website?

why would you upgrade to win me? or 2000 for that matter?

2000 my be more stable but win 98 SE is a pretty stable & mature OS.

Dell still offers win 98 SE as an OS option!

the OS is the heart & soul of the box, hardware driver issues for older components with both me & 2000..

see if win me / 2000 drivers are available for your hardware.

unless you have new "cards" win me is not going to support your hardware.. & 2000 is also limited.

Perepherials may not work..

good luck, but if it's working why fix it?

You'ra a braver man than I, do you bareback BGs? :-)

I have been using win98se thai for ages and it works a treat, recently upgraded to 2000 (which does have thai support) and now i cant use the dic (thaisoft 3.0) also having probs with MP3's where i have to re-name them all phonetically. Not sure about XP, dont like it too much personally but if it's thai support is better than 2K might give it a go.

XP has an additional setting (having already loaded Thai Language Support) which correctly displays Thai system fonts when using Thai Software previously only compatible with Windows Thai Editions:

i. Control Panel

ii. Regional and Language Options

iii. Advanced

iv. Language for non-Unicode programs

... select Thai here and thereafter it's as if you are using a Thai version of Windows. Also, scroll down the list of Code Page Conversion Tables and tick any Thai listings that aren't already selected.

Most Thai programs work without the need to do this, others require it.

Archived