Siam Inter-Continental Closing June 30 - Bargains

Raven

It's the end of an era for the Siam Inter-Continental. It will close its doors for good on 30 June. It occupies a valuable 26 acre parcel in the heart of Bangkok near Siam Center at the intersection of the BTS lines. It will be redeveloped. Presume a fancy shopping center and/or a convention center and/or a new 5 star hotel will rise in its place.

It is having a going out of business "sale." I saw rates on web sites over the weekend as low as US$46 nett per room double, including breakfast for two. Interestingly, the website said that service would decline after 01 June and it recommended alternative lodging. Interesting promotion.

The hotel is reputed to be guest friendly in the Tower Wing. If you ever wanted to stay in a 5 star hotel at an affordable price, this is probably as good as it gets. The location is a bit far from the night life, but taxis are cheap. And the disco in the Novotel (CM2?) is easily walkable.

"Not knowing bkk very well, how far is a bit far ???"

Skytrainwise, not far at all, but the Skytrain stops at midnight. A cab ride back from any of the sanuk locales shouldn't be more than 50 or 60 baht.

Walkingwise, far. Don't try it.

Location wise, its as central as you can get. Next door to Siam Center and World Trade Center. Easy walk to MBK. And right at the intersection of the two skytrain lines. NEP 3 stops on one line, SC 4 stops. And Patpong 2 or 3 stops on the other line.

I didn't know Emmanual was fillmed there. Makes sense. Beautiful gardens, pools, etc. And nice rooms.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of staying there for a night or two.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go there take note that the low rates that are published are only for the wing at the left hand side (attached to the parking place) which is by far not as nice as the garden rooms. So you should insist to be accomodated in one of the old rooms facing the garden - and this is really an oasis (used to belong to the Royal Family) in Bkk.

Archived