Password Protected Site

As i have just bought a digital video camcorder/camera and will be taking hell of a lot of pictures on my next trip. I would like to put them up on the net but i would also like to password protect this site so only board members and other such people can look at them . Is this hard to do as i have only just started to build websites of my own. I use Frontpage 2000 to do them.

Any info would be appreciated......

Hi Mitch,

I slightly disagree with DB, I think you could easily use a script to allow users to register a username and password and write them to your htaccess file (are you hosted on a unix box?). I recently wrote such a script for a client.

DB is right about picture theft though but there are some ways to make it more difficult.

There are now a few propriety pieces of software that diplay the image in their own browser which is more secure than the javascript soloution and also defeats sceenshots copying.

Coupled with that is a script I have seen that uses a cgi to reference the path to the image on the server it is fairly secure. Sadly though anything you publish on the internet is at risk.

I would simply go with a password protected members area and maybe a javascript/frames combination. That's enough to stop the casual right clickers.

It seems to be alot more bother than it's worth then. I am not a full computer illiterate but not far off, so i might just hide them and then tell people who are intrested where to go to get them. I'm not that bothered about the people who have the webspace looking at them.

Boo Radley,

Haven't seen you in a while where you been ?? and i bought a Panasonic NV-EX 21 for the simple fact that you can split the cassette base off it and use as a digital camera only. Pretty neat and a tidy package when i saw it as i had originally bought the Panasonic NV-GS1 but took it back after seeing the other one. Not cheap though £1200 or $1680 US, but insured whilst in LOS for £2500 as if it gets nicked I'll buy a better one with the insurance money.

Thanks for your comments people

Hi Mitch,

I was thinking of upgrading to a digital video camera (am stuck with an old analogue 8mm at the moment). I was looking at Samsung's VPD70 but its very cheap so don't know what the quality is like.

I guess they'll come down in price a bit in the future.

Simple password protection is pretty trivial, but it requires constant maintenance by you.

You can park your files in a yahoo briefcase and let yahoo manage the passwords.

You can post your trip pictures at that Pattaya board and let them manage the passwords.

Archived