Chang Export 100% Finest Malt Now Available In Thailand

panadolsandwich

Whew - just sipping the froth off of one of these 500ml canned beauties (extra serve) on the beach in Samui. The label says:

"Each can of Chang Export is brewed in a classic European tradition inspired by a World Class Brewmaster's special touch and care to produce a smooth, pleasant and distinctive taste that is unparalleled."

The malts are 100% imported - from where who knows? What I do know is that the usual domestic Chang is derived from a rice base. This stuff is something else - it lives up to it's marketing hype. The ones I buy in Australia have very heavy bottles - perhaps three or even four times as heavy as a domestic bottle. They've got a real heft to them. A real solid piece of glass. Something refreshing now that the big breweries are starting to press the case for plastic bottles.

Anyhow I love to drink it from time to time. Anyone else fancy it?

Cheers PDS

I'll have to look for it. All I usually see are regular Chang and Chang Export. I swear regular Chang wasn't as bad 10 years ago as it is now. Chang Export is drinkable, though I'd actually take Leo over it. Got to go hunt up some Chang malt and try it.

p.s. Years ago I knew a Thai raised with a German family who as a result was fully trilingual (Thai, German, English). He handled the import of hops and malt from Germany for Boonrawd Breweries (Singha). So Singha in the 1980s anyway was using German hops and malt. I'd expect Chang does the same for their malt.

p.s. Years ago I knew a Thai raised with a German family who as a result was fully trilingual (Thai, German, English). He handled the import of hops and malt from Germany for Boonrawd Breweries (Singha). So Singha in the 1980s anyway was using German hops and malt. I'd expect Chang does the same for their malt.

Ahhh, how many times have I looked at the side of the bottle and seen Boonrawd Breweries and wondered what kind of mecca this was? I wonder if they do tours?

I suspect you'd be right - even crap Brisbane XXXX bitter get their hops from Germany. After all the Germans are serious about their beer with their purity law and such. Well if I can choose to believe in anything - then I choose the purity law. Sounds good to me. I'd vote for that.

But yeah, it's got a nice malty taste - which is unusual in a Thai beer. Excellent finish too. I'm getting quite fond of it to put it lightly.

Boonrawd Brewery is on Samsen Road just north of the Sriyan intersection (my old neighbourhood for many years). It is right on the Chao Phaya River. Don't know about tours, though I used to go there for promotions when I was an editor.

http://www.boonrawd....07/th/home.html

Boonrawd was quite worried when Chang started to challenge them. Supposedly, for a while Boonrawd would not sell Singha to anyone who also sold Chang! That's when people spoke about the "Singha mafia".

Archived