10 Dead, 17 Hurt In Bus Accident

Flashermac

SURAT THANI - Ten people were killed and 17 others injured when a Bangkok to Koh Phangan tour bus skidded off the Surat Thani-Nakhon Si Thammarat highway and rammed a large power post in tambon Takhian Thong of Kanchanadit district early Tuesday morning, police said.

Police said the bus left Bangkok at 7.30pm on Monday with 24 passengers and three crew members, bound for Koh Phangan island off Surat Thani. As it approached a village in tambon Takhian Thong about 5.30am the bus suddenly careered off the road into a pit on the left, in front of a petrol station, and then ploughed into a large power post. The broken post fell on top of the Transport Co bus.

Ten people died on the spot -- the male driver, a male Indian tourist, five female Thai passengers and three Thai male passengers.

Seventeen other people, Thais and foreigners, were injured, eight of them seriously.

Police said the accident occurred when the front right tyre burst, causing the driver to lose control. The bus hit a tree and then the electric pole at full speed.

One of the woman Thai passengers said the first driver was replaced by another driver when the bus stopped at a public rest area in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Thap Sakae district.

"Since 3am, many passengers could not sleep because the bus was speeding so fast and the entire bus was also shaking.

"When I saw the bus going out of control I ducked down in my seat. I then heard a loud crash and cries for help everywhere," she said.

Surat Thani governor Cherdsak Chusri went to the crash scene. He said provincial authorities had contacted the embassies of the countries of the injured foreigners.

The names six of the dead passengers were given as:

1) bus driver Ang Srinual, 58,

2) Indian tourist Ahmed Jain, 38,

3) Wanchai Boonnukul,

4) Pimphan Saedan,

5) Saharat Chummano, 39

6) Kamnung Somjaimai, 58.

Details of the other four fatalities could not be confirmed.

Names of the injured foreign passengers and their nationalities are as follows;

1) Ms Roverta Norton, British

2) Mr Jonathan Bennet, British

3) Mrs Pinry Jain (Ahmed's mother), Indian

4) Mr Pushpinder Kuma, Indian

5) Mrs Aashima Jain, Indian

6) Ms Jasmine Maglige, Luxembourger

7) Mr Figueredo Matias Michael, Luxembourger

8) Mr Kapl Gaya, Zimbabwean.

My link

It was not the bus to Phangan, but to Koh Samui, the buses were switched in Bangkok. The bus to Samui had Phangan written on it and the other way around.

Shortly before the accident apparently foreign tourists asked the drier to slow down, which upset him, supposedly he was speeding to catch the 6am ferry. Soon after he lost control.

Various local people from Samui are among the dead, the bus from BKK to Phangan arrived safely on Phangan this mooring.

Horneytorney, why shouldn't Indian nationals go to Koh Phangan, any reason for your statement? The wife of the deceased Indian passenger is now in Surat Thani hospital, dealing with this situation, without being able to speak Thai and there are a lot of other Indian casualties, most likely more family members. I suggest you take a trip down to that hospital and ask the lady that same question. Or would you like me to pass on the phone number of the hospital, so you can ask her, safes you the trip down there.

Why don't you answer the question? hat's the difference between Phangan and Samui for Indians? Samui is a legit destination according to you and Phangan isn't? You still need the phone number of the hospital so you can ask the widow?

it is a fact that the Indians are a emerging nation of tourists. Of course they are entitled to go everywhere they want. We just have to get used to it.

The tone of your original post suggest that you might have a problem with this fact. Better get used to it rather quickly, since India will be one of the nations where future Thai tourists will originate from and it looks like not only Thailand will be profiting from Indian tourists in the near future.

lol on urinating - some black dude did yesterday that near a local playground / park in yermany & as soon as he returned to his bike :hubbahubba: the 'local' (well middle east origin like) woman lectured him NOT to do that again ever - else :boxing:

yup some societies are more tolerant :tuxedo: and civilised :wanker: than others :mooning:

what were we talking about again pls? :topic:

Archived