Junk Characters In Thaisoft Dictionay

gawguy

Using Win XP. Regional language settings set to Thai. Menu language inside the dictionary set to English. The normal menus appear in English, but I'm getting garbage characters in some menu areas. The "Tips" inside a Tip dialogue box are all garbage characters and whole lines of question marks "?????????????????????" So is the "About" under Help menu. There is another box under the Font selection box that is in junk. It is a drop down menu and all the choices are junk.

That means that the necessary language is not present or not selected somewhere, doesn't it?

I've had this problem before but it was so long ago I don't remember what I did to fix it. Other programs like Word allow me to select the input language and type in either English or Thai.

In Regional and Language Options I have checked the box "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai.) I have not been asked to insert the Win setup disk.

What to do?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Resolved. FYI: The solution was deep in the Windows XP Regional and Language Options control panel. "Advanced" tab / Select language to match the language version of the non-unicode programs you want to use / Select "Thai" in the drop down list.

Seems obvious after it's done, but it wasn't obvious for a long time and no board members seemed to know.

Archived