MS Word 2000 problem

When typing fast, I'm hitting a key (I guess) that is turning 'overtype' on. Driving me crazy. I've tried looking in help, for MS Word 2000, but can find nothing. Does anyone know what I need to do to get back into non-overtype mode? Thanks.

HT

When you edit text, the letter you are typing in is not just added. It replaces the letter that the curser is residing next to. Example: I type "diferent". I go back to add another 'f', so place curser next to f to insert another f. Instead of adding it, just deletes, and then replaces. Not a very good example, but I think someone out there will know what I mean. It doesn?t just happen in Word either. It happens when I type here on the board also.

It is right next to my backspace key. Might be the problem. I'll try it next time it happens. Thanks Danish 30!

HT

"I do the same thing all the time -- hit the Inset key when I want backspace or Delete"

Could be worse: on a Mac, the "backspace" key is actually the "delete" key. Probably the primary reason Mac users think PC users don't "get it."

Uhhhh......an even faster way to correct it is to click on OVR on the little status bar on bottom of the page that shows Page # of # etc. It used to bug me also until I figured it out. I was restarting my computer every time to get rid of it.

Hi TopCat,

I've used the OVR icon on my other computers, and always worked fine. The relatively new computer I'm on now runs MS ME, and it's never worked from day one. Also, even if it did, it is not available when making a post here. Thanks, though.

HT

Archived