Defending Baby-Killing Parents: Help Me Understand The Logic!

In cases where the parent/s/guardian/s are unable to return to the child and the child dies. i.e. the parent gets hit by a bus whilst the child is buckled in only a few meters away, the parent should still be subject to a manslaughter charge.

Depends on the situation. If a driver got a flat and changed the tyre while the baby was asleep in the baby seat - I wouldn't see a problem not waking the child, so long as he/she was comfortable. If said driver is subsequently hit by another motorist and knocked out, and subsequently the baby dies (for whatever reason - chokes, CO2 poison, bird flu - whatever), should the parent driver be charged?

The mother I guess technically was "unable" to get to her child as she was off her guts on drugs, but IMO it should be looked as as if she purposely didn't return, as one would assume the drug "trip" was self inflicted. She didn't intend to kill the baby, but she did intentionally leave the child in the car on a hot day, which any parent should know has the potential to be fatal.

Archived