Ais "f-" Connection Doesn't Make Sense

gawguy

My AIS internet SIM connection just does not make sense!

When I put in the SIM card the Aircard software indicates EDGE although I bought a 3g plan.

I used EDGE with DTAC for a year or so, and then UMTS and HSDPA just popped up when I arrived this time. Anyway, I know normal EDGE speed. Speedtest.net rates this AIS connection “F-“ . It takes a couple of minutes to load a new page of Thai360.

Mekong says he gets great connect speed with AIS so I wanted to try it. If it’s not going to work I want to understand why.

Took my computer to Tukcom and AIS speed is no better there. They sent me to a techie who told me that right now AIS 3g in Pattaya doesn’t work at all. I need to wait a year. But Mekong gets it and has excellent connect speed. Someone else told me I couldn’t get 3g on a laptop. It’s all BS as in “I don’t know, but I don’t want to say I don’t know, so I’ll say whatever. You go away now.â€

Mekong says he can see the broadcast tower where he is. I can’t believe I have to be within sight of a tower for AIS to work! Doesn’t make sense. Or AIS doesn’t work in South Pattaya but works great in other areas? Doesn’t make sense.

Mekong (if you read this): Do you take your iPad out? Do you get slow speed elsewhere? Ever tried at TukCom? That would answer this whole question - if you had good speed there and I didn’t, does it come down to iPad connection vs Aircard? Is there a difference?

(I get reasonable 3g from True. And I seem to have slow 3g from DTAC without buying a plan. It just popped with my old SIM card which I top up like a phone.)

Anyone else using AIS with an aircard in a laptop?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Archived