Laptop Repair Needed in Pattaya

zanemay

My dear laptop, Mrs. Zane, is finally starting to give in to old age. She is an IBM Thinkpad, 1998.

The problem: The mouse pointer jumps all over the screen while booting. It gives indications that the left mouse button (also activated by pushing down on the mouse controller - I forget the name at the moment but it is a little joystick in the midde of the keyboard) is down intermittantly. These are wild gyrations usually moving diagonally from the bottom right corner to the upper left. After boot up the pointer settles in the upper left corner, sometimes selecting some function located there. I cannot move it. Sometimes is disappears.

There was a day or two after this started happening when I could just turn the computer off for a few hours and it would be okay for awhile.

I have tried all kinds of physical things to unstick buttons and the mouse stick. No improvement.

Given that I need a repair, is there a good shop in Pattaya where I can take it or do I have to go to BKK? If so where? I am most concerned about having my data erased during the repairs by a Thai that I cannot communicate with. I go back to USA in five weeks and could wait, but I think the repair might be a lot cheaper here.

Thanks,

Zane

Archived