(Q), Chiang Mai info

Hi there,

Not much Chiang Mai info around. I'm going in a couple of days from Bkk by train and would like to get some info on places to stay, things to do etc. I hope this is not the wrong area for this.

Anyone have any hotel, bar beer, gogo recommendations. How about things to see and do in the vicinity such as motorcycle trips, treks etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Depends how much you are planning on spending, two hotels I'd recommend would be Lanna Thai guest house which is about 5oob or the Prince Hotel which starts at 700b goes up to 900b. The Lanna is better for location.

There are three go-go bars Spotlight, Johns Place and starsix ,all the girlie type bars are near these three, you can't miss them.

for motorbike info try this:

http://www.geocities.com/goldentrianglerider/

Chiang mai is an easy place to get around, you'll soon find the good places.

Alfalfa,

I stayed in the Downtown Inn for three nights in March and found it reasonable value at 890 baht per night. Try the web site at "www.empresshotels.com". It is quite close to the night markets and the river and there is a very friendly, laid back agogo place about twenty metres up the road - turn right as you leave the hotel. The mamasan is gorgeous and plays a pretty good game of pool. As for other activities - try the elephant ride and the river rafting for a standard day's fun. At night the kantoke dinner at the cultural centre is also worth a look. For a bit of freelancer fun try the Central shopping mall near the north-west corner of the "old town" - any tuk tuk driver will know it. If you happen to find yourself in the Euro Beer Bar tell the owner Marinee that Mark from Sydney says hello.

Have fun,

DocM.

quote:

Originally posted by DocM:

For a bit of freelancer fun try the Central shopping mall near the north-west corner of the "old town"

Have fun,

DocM.[/QB]

Doc, I have never heard of freelancers hanging out in the mall. Can you give us more details on how to find them? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Bungie6,

I recommend you go to Central in the middle of the afternoon around 3pm to 4pm. There are often many older secondary schoolgirls in the mall then, many of whom seem keen to earn some extra spending money. While it has been rare for me to be approached (am I a "hansum man" or what?), I have had great success with a smile and a bit of chat followed by the offer of a drink or a meal. The girls in the mall seem to me to be less hardcore than BKK freelancers, and I think that is true of Chiang Mai as a whole. The basement grocery area near the arcade machines in particular has been a very happy hunting ground for me.

Sanuk,

DocM.

quote:

Originally posted by DocM:

Bungie6,

The basement grocery area near the arcade machines in particular has been a very happy hunting ground for me.

Sanuk,

DocM.

I went there today. You are referring to the area in the basement mall outside Topp's Supermarket food court? There are no arcade machines there that I could find, just a couple of Kid's horsie rides. Can you clarify?

Bungie6,

Yep, you are in the right place. Perhaps my memory is a little fuzzy - I thought there were some arcade machines there, or perhaps they have been moved around.

As I suspect you know well there is not a big bar scene in Chiangmai, and I don't think there is a big population of freelancers either. As I said in a previous post, I have never been directly approached in Central. However, I have found that there are often groups of senior students and their friends in the mall who are at least open to some chat (you are right - they are usually a bit on the young side and I always try to see their ID if they end up in my room and I have any doubts about their age). Some days you don't see anything at all and other days there are girls everywhere. If you see someone walking around whom you fancy, and you can make eye contact and get a little smile from them, chances are they will be up for some sanuk. Several times I have in this way met a girl who was keen to take the chat further and have a meal, drink or a night in the bars and then back to the hotel.

If I have spent money "feeding and watering" a girl then I will usually give her 500 baht for ST ( if she wants to stay the night that's up to her) and if we go straight back to the hotel I usually give them 1000 baht. I have not had any complaints over money during my three visits to Chiangmai.

Regards,

DocM.

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: DocM ]

There is no 'freelancer-scene' at Central. This is not the Royal Garden @ Pattaya.

For sure you can get lucky there just as you can get lucky at any other place where young people go. Basically you're just flirting with local girls and seeing where it leads; nothing wrong with that, recommended even.

But don't go there assuming you can find hookers there who expect payment. So when you do get lucky, I don't think payment 'after the deed' is necessarily in order.

If a girl does want something then she'll hint at it. (She'll mention she can't pay the rent, etc.) at that time you can make a contribution, but overall you're NOT picking up hookers.

(Yes I'm sure there are exceptions)

Cheers,

Chanchao

quote:

Originally posted by LaoHuLi:

Best I recall the Video games are on the 4th florr by the Cinemas.

Better pickup spot is across the street in the evenings. There is a Cinema complex, some street vendors and an outdoor bar between the two.

Interesting, LaoHuLi. I remember once a girl stopped me as I walked down the street there. Or maybe I was staring at her and she said hello. I didn't think she was a hooker, but maybe I was wrong.

Archived