New boat tour started

Flashermac

Picked up a flyer the other day announcing the Chao Phaya Express Boat company has started a new river tour as of 12 May. It leaves from Sathorn Pier (end of Sathorn Road) every day at 9.00 AM and travels up the river as far as Pin Klao Bridge, with stops at Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn), the Royal Barge Museum on Klong Bangkok Noi and the Grand Palace. You spend 30 minutes at the Temple of Dawn, 20 minutes at the Barge Museum and about 1 1/2 hours at the GP. The boat journey comes with an English speaking guide and a box lunch, plus the price includes admission to the places visited. You arrive back at Sathorn a little after noon, so you still have plenty of time for other things. Total cost is 780 baht each. Might be something to do in the day time, especially with a Thai gal who has never seen these places either. Call the Bangkok Tourism Centres at 0-2617-7340 for reservations and more information. (You can e-mail them at supapan@loxinfo.co.th )

There are three other tours by the Chao Phaya River Boat Company as well, but only on Sundays. They leave from Maharat Pier over near the Grand Palace, say around 8 or 9 AM. One goes to Bang Pa In, just below Ayutthaya. Another goes to upriver Koh Kred (an old island with an Ayutthaya period temple), plus stops at a handicraft village and a khanom (sweets) making village as well. The longest tour goes down river to the Gulf of Thailand and stops at the RTN base. Then it comes back up the river and stop for you to get off and be bused over to the big Erawan (3-headed mythological elephant) Shrine and on to the Ancient City (historic theme partk, Thailand in miniature). After spending some time at the AC, including a buffet luncheon, you are bused back to the boat to return home. All of these tours are a lot cheaper than anything offered by the hotels. Call that number for the boat company if you want the details.

Of course, if you're a cheap charlie you can just hop the 10 baht river boat and ride all the way from Sathorn to Nonthaburi. Then take another boat back. No stops for touring, but a great way to see the whole riverfront of Bangkok for just 20 baht!

p.s. It's nice and cool out on the river, even in the hot season.

Flashermac....MY MAN......How would you like a job? Doesn't pay much, but you'll get an honorable mention!! Not enough incentive....OK, I'll buy you a beer. smile.gif

I probably shouldn't be posting this here, but I need a river tour from around 1:00 p.m. till around 6:00 p.m. for SanukStock. What I'm really looking for is a chartered tour. Willing to take us where we need to go, and supply lite food and open bar while enroute.

Sounds like you know a lot about this, so might be right up your alley. Also need to know about a night dinner cruise. This would be a little simpler. Just take an existing set cruise, and charter it for ourselves.

Tenative SanukStock date is Sept. 16-22, 2002. Not much time. Daytime activities are being set up now, which is why I need a daytime cruise during the time slot I stated above.

It would be a great help if you could take this task and run with it. Tell you what....stay away from soi 33, and I'll pay your barefine for one night during SanukStock. That's as in "one girl" barfine smile.gif .

You can post back to me in SanukStock forum under 'planned activities'. Come on dude...it's your civic resposibility.....

HT

That boat tour looks great for first timers, but at 780 baht I find it expensive. Good idea for SanukStock.

It must also be very easy to charter a longtail boat on the klongs. I used to rent my own boat for 300 baht, should be 500 by now for a one one and half hour ride. Should seat 30 people at least.

I did the express boat at 20 baht many times, but a chartered boat on the klongs is a lot more fun than the open river, canals, houses, temples, floating shops, orchid farms.

HIGHTHAIED, Sept 16-22, great dates for me, I am leaving LOS 24th Sept, count me in.

I live in Chumpon, don't think I can help much from here, but if you have an idea for help, sent me a pm

thalenoi,

Actually, date was set up just to be able to include you. For this, I need conssesions.... smile.gif

Between Flashermac, and you, you cannot tell me you cannot set up a simple tour of the river. You live there, so I'm counting on you. Shit...who elses lives there, in Champon??? My Cow Jai? Someone?? I forget. Anyway, it's a hell of a lot closer than Hawaii, so I'm counting on you. You can do this, I know you can...and everyone on the board is counting on you.

Am I putting you on the spot? Yes... if SanukStock is going to be a reality, then it's going to take people like you to come foreward. Otherwise, forget it.

Wow.....the pressure is on. smile.gif Want to see it happen?, then you must partisapate. Simple as that, and I speak to all.

Easy enough to rent boats, but that bar bit is difficult. Most of the boats are pretty basic. But you could always rent a klong boat and bring along a couple of coolers of beer.

Call some of the travel agencies. They might be able to help you on something bigger than a klong boat. Most of what I see on the river are simply boats that follow a set schedule -- say a dinner cruise or a trip to Ayutthaya and back. Don't think there is much demand for charter boats on the river.

Archived