At the movies

Long Gun

Having a bit of a movie-going frenzy at the moment, 'We were soldiers', 'Mothman Prophecies' and 'Star Wars Episode 2' so far this week and I am planning to see 'Monster's Ball' later today or tomorrow. However, to avoid disappointment, has anyone seen this in Bangkok yet and can they tell me if the Halle Berry/Billy Bob Thornton shagfest got past the censors? I have it on my laptop already, via Grokster, but I am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen!

Incidentally, I see George Lucas slipped in a bit of erotic interest, not so much in the love story between Anakin and Amidala (Natalie Portman) but more in the white outfit she wears in the 2nd half of the movie where her buttons are clearly sticking out in several scenes. Hardly worth the price of entry in itself but I really enjoyed the rest of it anyway. Yoda is THE MAN!

LG

Well, I answered my own question, so don't worry about it! For anyone interested, the original scene is probably the most highly charged, full on sexual performance by an oscar-winning actress, and probably had something to do with her triumph as it gathered a LOT of attention for a downmarket low budget 'art movie'. Halle is generally very impressive (and looks fantastic) as is Billy Bob, another 2 thumbs up from me, though what little humour there is is very dark, and the rest is GRIM!

So, the scene I have memorised from watching the MPEG so often, has the 2 leads doing it doggy style, sitting, standing, Billy Bob on top, Halle on top upright, Halle on top sliding slowly up and down, all filmed and edited in a clever fast cut sort of style. The version I watched tonight has Halle and Billy Bob sitting on the sofa, then Halle and Billy Bob lying on the floor wrapped in blankets. They have simply cut 3' 13" out of the movie. Shouldn't they reduce their prices pro rata? After all we had to pay more for Suriyothai because it was too long.

Was the scene crucial? Well it was certainly crucial to my chances of seeing Halle Berry naked on the big screen instead of my laptop so hell, yes, it was crucial.

LG

That pisses me off! I was really looking forward to seeing "Monster's Ball," what Roger Ebert named truly the best film of 2001, but I'll wait for the video now. I thought the puerile Thai censors had stopped doing that shit? The elimination of those obnoxious Vaseline smears must have put me off my guard; I wonder how many other films this has happened to, and I never even knew it.

I wonder how many other films this has happened to, and I never even knew it.

That's a very good point, SS, I am only assuming that there was only one big shagging scene in this one - can anybody confirm that?

'Jan Dara', despite being a lot more 'frank' than most Thai movies, had clearly been cut to ribbons and I will make sure that I find a European DVD (copy!) before I buy that! It ould not be so bad if they were honest about their evil deeds and listed what they had cut, or at least what %age of the film!

LG

Oi, Froggy, are you questionning the MODERATOR here, or what? Please note, the full title of this section is 'Sports & Leisure' although having watched that scene again and again, sex with Halle can hardly be described as a leisurely pursuit!!

LG

Archived