Snap Election Turns The Heat On Watchdogs

Flashermac

The official tasked with running the Feb 2 election - if it does take place - realises he faces a Herculean task in ridding the system of corruption.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, who has been given senate approval to be the administration official for the Electoral Commission of Thailand (ECT), said the body, which has more than 10 years of experience, needs to improve its performance.

"What I will do when I get to be part of the ECT is to see how they answer my question as a person who has observed the situation from outside, and how they will redeem themselves from the criticism of the whole of society."

But vote-buying and ballot-box stuffing - the perceived corruption that opponents of the Yingluck government claim has become endemic under the current administration - aren't the only problems at the core of Thailand's political crisis. Other critics believe that abuse of the parliament majority to introduce policies open to corruption are playing just as big a role in winning governance and lining politicians' pockets.

Klanarong Chanthick, former commissioner at the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), said corruption was no longer just about bribery and tea money.

"Corruption at a policy level is extremely difficult to deal with because when policy-makers introduce schemes, they tend to claim they meet the needs of the public, despite the fact that such schemes may be introduced just to benefit certain groups or their supporters," he said.

http://www.bangkokpo...at-on-watchdogs

Archived