Historical perspectives on Sanuk

Enjoying a day away from the office I spent a lazy afternoon listening to the "Arts Talk" program on ABC Radio National (Australia). This weeks program focussed on a book entitled "Sultry Climates" by Ian Littlewood. The book traces the history of sex tourism from the days of the Grand Tour through to the scene of today. I have yet to read it, but the show was rather interesting to listen to. It began relating the adventures of Byron, Boswell and other Victorian Britons, talking of their escape from the repressive puritanism of the day to Venice, Paris and Greece. The show ended with the exploits of Graham Greene in Central America (who in my opinion should be elevated to Deity status by this board) and the syphilitic pederast and artist Paul Gauguin and his Polynesian perversions. If the show was any indication, the book should be a good read, especially if anyone is interested in the social phenomenon we partake of. At any rate, I will never be able to listen to any account of the majesty and refinement of the 19th century grand tour again without smirking and thinking of Lord Byron with his strides around his ankles in a Venetian knock-shop!

Cheers

Jaga

you forgot the master of all - the great burton!

fluent in thirtysomething languages, translated the kamasutra, read all the major philosophical and religious works in their original language, went in diguise to mecca, studied with the ancient yogis, searched for the spring of the nile, and new almost all horehouses in several continents.

a historical crime that his wife burned burtons diaries after his death.

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: flyonzewall ]

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: flyonzewall ]

Yes, Sir Richard Burton, not the Welsh actor. He translated Arabian love manuals and explored the seedier side of life in the middle east. Apparently he discovered that there were writings describing how some Arabians used to copulate with crocodiles. Unfortunately I haven't read them to comment further but he was a true adventurer.

Archived