Internet Cafe Security

Just wondering: is it safe to do net banking etc at an internet cafe or would I be leaving myself open to problems regarding people hacking into my account.

Cheers Fred

Thanks for that db,

That answers all my quieries and then some, I think i'll get a laptop. Those computer geebons in the cafes are two sneeky for my liking.

Cheers Fred

> No all you'll have to worry about is packet sniffers and script kiddies... ;-)

Surely any bank that does Internet Banking would be using 128 bit SSL encryption I hope? That should deal with the packet sniffers. If you keep away from shady websites and dodgy e-mail you shouldn't have to worry about script kiddies either.

My bank uses one-time-passwords (a list of random numbers) to affirm every transaction. That makes me feel a bit better.

I'm mostly worried about logging into my servers from Internet Cafe's, I use SSH for encryption, but any keystroke logger could get past that. I've thought about using a bootable CD to boot into my own OS but that would be a bit of a hassle...

Regards,

Xenna

A safer option would be internet cafes with smart cards on a high security level. There are smart card readers available, where the key never leaves the card and/ or the reader, so a sniffer would be useless.

However, I have never seen such cards/ readers in BKK and the advise would be, to use your own computer and update your anti-virus software on a regular basis.

"I'm mostly worried about logging into my servers from Internet Cafe's, I use SSH for encryption, but any keystroke logger could get past that. I've thought about using a bootable CD to boot into my own OS but that would be a bit of a hassle... "

I have the Linuxcare bootable business card in my wallet. I use version 1.6 because it modprobes all to common realtek NICs without having to point to the mod (driver) explicitly. It includes SSH and a workable gooey. It boots pretty quick and setting up networking takes less than a minute without a reboot.

You can also use the Russian Roulette method of guarding against keystroke loggers. After you finish your session walk down the street to another cafe start a new session and change any passes you use. I haven't tried it myself.

Archived