Importing a vehicle from thailand

sinsin2

Does not make any sense to me unless the car is a classic or has great emotional value. (Like the car where you had your first sex in)

Cars in Thailand are outright EXPENSIVE; even in Holland, who has, i believe, the most frustrating car tax system in Europe, the cars are 50% of the price in Thailand.

All--

Importing a motor vehicle FROM Thailand to another country is *generally* cost prohibited IF ocean/air freight is involved.. Since the base price of autos manufactured in Thailand is (by comparision) inexpensive, it is hard to cost-justify the shipping charges to bring it back with you...

The second (and bigger issue IMHO) is import customs clearance and registration.. By example all foreign manfactured cars not purchased new IN the usa must be inspected and approved by a miriad of federal agencies... EPA to insure compliance with emissions control regulations, Customs to insure compliance with safety specs and so forth.. Also, fyi, you cannot get "pre-approval" of a vehicle import until it is actually "landed" in a US port and physically inspected.. Thus, when the car arrives *IF* it does not meet any of the standards you will either need to have it fixed before it gets released to you or abandon it to Customs (thus you loose out in the vehicle, plus the shipping charges)...

In summary, I am not in favor of trying to import a foreign manufactured (used) vehicle from Thailand... From Canada into the US is one story, but from Thailand to US or other western nations is entirely different.

As always, I would recommend consultation with an experienced customs broker and with the relevant import authorities in your home country.

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Archived