Ugly holes in IE5, 5.5 & 6.0

Db,

Thanks for linking to that site. Very interesting and I was in need for a patch myself. I have one question though. How could they acces my computer when I also had an active firewall (zonealarm, the free version). You have any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

soongmak

• 3 weeks later...

I tried that site too ( thanks Tycona). It appears that my computer is very safe now (could be thanks to the patches I retrieved at the qualys site).

I got this message after I asked Gibson to probe my ports:

>>>Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!

One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet. <<<<

I do not know what they mean with full stealth mode though. It sounds kinda cool so I think I am OK here :-)

Cheers,

SOONGMAK

I tried that site too ( thanks Tycona). It appears that my computer is very safe now (could be thanks to the patches I retrieved at the qualys site).

I got the same results as you on a vanilla version W2K install on my wifes laptop. On further inspection I noticed they weren't picking up my IP number, but one further along the route. Also remember that the way most peoples computers are attacked is through the inbox and not by people probing your ports looking for an open door.

Archived