When you're being cheated

paddyboy

What do you say to someone who is obviously trying to overcharge you? One of my students told me to say "ai ki gong," but another one said that was too strong and that I should say "yaa ki gong." I said that to a tuktuk driver down south and he started hollering at me!

A yank once told me to say something like "pom pen manut, mai chai muu." I think it means "I'm a human, not an animal."

Any suggestions?

paddyboy,

"yaa ki gong." is a good choice. It means ' Don't cheat'

"pom pen manut, mai chai muu." I think it means "I'm a human, not an animal."

It means I'm a human not a pig. Pigs for Thais in this case is sth you can play tricks on.

GTG.

"yaa ki gong." is a good choice. It means ' Don't cheat'

Might be OK if said with a beautiful smile.smile.gif

I think in any country an average man would take offense to someone implying that he is trying to cheat. If it is obvious that he is trying to cheat you the more likely he is to be angered by the accusation, lose of face etc. And you said that to a tuk tuk driver? You?re lucky he merely hollered at you.

There is a difference between an attempt to overcharge and being cheated. Attempting to overcharge to take advantage of a potentially naïve customer is not considered cheating. Cheating would occur for example if after agreeing to a price, arrive at your destination, the tuk tuk attempts to get extra money out of you.

My suggestion: If they quote 100baht for what should be a 50baht ride, you can say "pang gern pai" (too expensive) with a smile. This is the beginning of the negotiation. If you don't get an acceptable price, just walk away. If he tries to extort extra money at your destination politely suggest that you ask for the assistance of a police officer to settle the disagreement. What can you gain by calling a tuk tuk driver ai ki gong (cheater) or saying yaa ki gong (don't cheat!)? You've got a lot more to loose.

"manut"

I've also heard this pronounced manuk and also manud.

So which is the correct one?

Ma-noot, looks closer to a proper transliteration. Sort of rhymes with boot.

I agree. I know all of about 10 Thai words, but I'd just say "Paang mak...mai ow. 50 baht, dai mai? (with a smile on my face)

(Too expensive, I don't want. Is 50 baht OK?)

Start throwing insults, and you'll lose in the end.

Archived